Would you say that this tile layout is acceptable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mini Me

Reaction score
I am using 24x24 tiles (nominal is 23.6") and 1/16" grout lines

I would like to get your feedback about this layout

The idea was to minimize cuts and avoid tiling to the ceiling as it is not even

What is still missing in the picture is a tile plinth (there is a small strip at the bottom that is not filled in but consider that I could:

-start at shower base level (2") and then the top of the tiles in the shower would be 70.8+(3x1/16) which seems a little bit low to me especially if I order shower panels to match that

-start at 4" from the floor level (2" above the shower -not including the tile flange). This will raise the top level of the tiles a little bit and it will give me a decent size plinth on the walls that do not get tiles

Tile layout considerations:

-I centered two veritcal lines, one on the toilet sit and the other on the vertical middle axis of the mirror, vanity etc)

-within the shower I have not followed any guidelines, I could probably balance the tiles to the left and to the right of a vertical axis on the longer shower wall but so I would make equal size tiles in the first and the last column of tiles on that wall

What do you guys think, is it acceptable? What would you change ?

E4UvE6b.png

Second option with balanced tile sizes in the shower along the long side of the shower

12TdV04.png

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If that is a window to the seated user's left, where will the TP roll go?

Mini Me

Reaction score
If that is a window to the seated user's left, where will the TP roll go?
yes above the toilet sit it is a window
the TP roll will sit on a shelf to the right of the user and the toilet will have a bidet
If you remember my earliest posts here I was trying to relocate two pipes (the main stack and the an old and unused dry vent for a sink that was there ages ago. They were both concealed in a separation wall that was at the end of the shower base toward the toilet
I removed the dry vent and I am planning to dress the main stack in a frame and apply drywall and then run shelves to the wall

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Your second option is the way to go and it looks better. The problem is the corner. It may not be a perfect 90 degree and perfectly vertical on both sides. From a vertical center line the distance to the corner could be different by maybe a 1/4" more or less from the floor to the ceiling . Each tile at the corners needs to be measured and cut by first installing the center tile and working out.

As far as the bottom goes it depends on the tile, design and your skill set. If the tile needs to be cut for the most bottom course, you use a ledger board. The shower base may not be perfectly level. Since 24" can be quite heavy, as the tile is set to the wall, it can slide down and you may not notice it until the thinset has harden. Placing a ledger board screwed to the wall it can be perfectly level. The as the tile is placed on the wall the bottom edge of the tile would be sitting on the ledger and it cannot slide down. The next day remove the board and cut the bottom course of tile to fit.

Here is one of the best tile forum there is: https://www.johnbridge.com/

Mini Me

Reaction score
I made sure the floor is level (poured self leveling cement there and measured)
I made sure the shower base is level as well so setting tiles from the shower level up using 1/4" spacers below the tile (to leave room for caulking, silicon or whatever is typically installed there should set me properly on my way up.
Regarding the side distances to the corners ..you might have a good point there I need to check that out...I am hanging the cement boards as we speak.
It seems I will have to play that game in any direction

I have a challenge with the ~7" piece behind the longer shower panel not sure if I can arrive there plumb and square since I do not have a center to start from ...maybe I should rethink the layout on the shower panel wall, the one on the long wall is fine

Re: johnbridge.com forum ..I created an account there but they did not approve it ..not sure why :-(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks