Would this propex manifold setup meet UPC? Any recommended improvements?

Users who are viewing this thread

larsonist

Reaction score
First off, I'm not sure what the forum protocol is in regard to posting a link, so if this is against the term - feel free to remove the link just below this.

I found someone who built out a propex homerun manifold and it was very similar to what I had been planning, so I'm just curious if it passes the sniff test for permitting (UPC 2015)? Also, are there any recommended modifications you would make to this configuration?

One thing to note is I'll be running my pex down and through the crawl space instead of up into the attic. I had also planned on having a utility sink below the manifold so spacing is a bit of a concern (if it's a violation similar to electrical panels where I have to allow clearance in front of the manifold access panel).

In the utility room photo, my hope was to locate the manifold in the space where the two left-most cabinets were located. This room is a utility room off the kitchen (no door between kitchen and utility) and stores the furnace and (future) tankless water heater on the left wall (it needs to be changed to a direct vent), the utility sink and pantry cabinetry will be on the wall straight ahead from the kitchen. The existing cabinets are gone and the washer and dryer will be moved to the bedroom hallway. It has a side-exit door to the right, and then the electrical panel will be moved from that existing position on the right, to the right-back wall behind the camera angle (I'm needing to upgrade the electrical at the same time).

My other "out-there" thought is to build this manifold in a longer and narrower fashion and mount it between the floor joists and have an access panel in the floor, not sure if that would be a terrible idea or a great idea? It would save a lot of wall space.

Thanks for any advice you might offer!

Attachments

• uponor-manifold-install-close-up.jpg
    uponor-manifold-install-close-up.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 241
  • utlity room.jpg
    utlity room.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 229

JustNeedsPaint

Reaction score
Website
www.justneedspaint.com
First off, thanks for the mention!

Our manifold was pressure treated before installation by a master plumber and passed inspection by the City of Dickinson (operating under IRC 2015).

I definitely want to highlight one of our lessons learned: one of our improvements on a future manifold is to add drain down access in-line on each side. I’ve put more details in the post here. Since you are replacing the system you may want to add in PEX expansion loops as well.

This manifold was enclosed as narrow as possible and still serviceable. If you want a narrower manifold, then you might want to consider a Viega manablock of your choice.

Not certain about locating sink below from code perspective. I would guess the access will be an issue. Our manifold extends well below the height of a sink.

I would not recommend putting it between floor joists. Issues are access and location. I’m not aware of floor installations for potable systems. It may be possible for radiant systems, though. (Not saying it is not possible--I just don't know as we haven't encountered that situation yet.) If you do go that direction I’d certainly consider a whole house water monitoring system as well.

You might already be planning for this, but just for completeness: runs in crawl space MUST be insulated if it is not a conditioned space (the attic above our manifold will be conditioned).

Side recommendations: if you are upgrading the electrical panel, consider an Eaton Cutler-Hammer line residential surge panel load center. Lifetime warranty for the panel, circuit breakers and the class 2 surge protection is included and insures connected devices downstream up $70k, if the surge device fails.

Please let me know if you have any questions about these suggestions.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks