Would the Vespin II fit for this 14" rough-in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Coherent

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that a Vespin II will fit with this 14" rough in toilet in my 100 year old home. The water valve at its innermost edge on the handle is 6-1/8" from the centerline of the toilet, which is less than the 8" that was recommended but I read on this forum that 5.5" from center should work. (Hopefully the valve will be able to open and close without the handle hitting but maybe there are smaller handles I can use?)

The part I'm not sure about is that the way the pipe comes in with its center at 13.5" from the floor and then drops down to 8" where the valve is. The valve comes out 6.5 as measured from the wall. I'm attaching an image below, but my main question is if there is anything I should worry about here, or if I have a good shot at it fitting. I'll plan to buy the 14" unfit tube along with the Vespin II. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 7.34.46 PM.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It may or may not fit with the shutoff straight out like that. If not though, you could remove the 90 near the wall and using a new nipple and 90 perhaps turn it to the left.

Coherent

Reaction score
It may or may not fit with the shutoff straight out like that. If not though, you could remove the 90 near the wall and using a new nipple and 90 perhaps turn it to the left.
Is that the likely worst case- modifying pipe position or orientation outside of the wall? I was worried that perhaps part of the wall would need to be opened up so that the pipe would came out in a different location entirely.(FWIW I'm new here so if there was a unifit option that's more forgiving with valve placement definitely let me know.)

Thanks so much Terry!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that the likely worst case- modifying pipe position or orientation outside of the wall? I was worried that perhaps part of the wall would need to be opened up so that the pipe would came out in a different location entirely.(FWIW I'm new here so if there was a unifit option that's more forgiving with valve placement definitely let me know.)

Thanks so much Terry!
If you could use a vertical nipple that is maybe 1.5 to 2 inches shorter you would raise the valve to a height that is above the wide part. Brass is better for stuff that you add. Don't add new galvanized.

It's gonna be close. If worst came to worst you could attach the tank to the bowl after dropping the bowl. I expect you could clear with the assembled toilet, but I am not sure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks