Would one be able to smell sewer gas from a bad wax ring if the base is caulked?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by CountryBumkin, Dec 16, 2015.

1. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin Active Member

Title says it all.
    I think I smell sewer gas around my toilet. I installed it myself when I tiled the bathroom a few years ago using a wax ring. This was my first toilet removal/install so I may have messed up the wax.
    However I caulked around the base completely, and the caulking is still good - so could sewer gas still escape somehow if the wax ring is messed up?

2. standardairconditioner

standardairconditioner HVAC'ker

Without visiting the site, I cannot determine the quality of your work, but I am going to go with your admitted fact you have no experience with this and must be re-done RIGHT.

The sewage can still permeate from under the subfloor.

Removing a toilet is no big deal, it is perhaps the easiest task to troubleshoot and can be done with certainty at the end.

I suggest you try UPC waxless products.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin Active Member

Thanks for your feedback.

I bough the Sani-Seal a few week ago and am planning to do this soon - just be safe.

Just wondering if I was imagining things (with the toilet base being caulked) and maybe just have a stinky bathroom, or if there is really a possibility of seal problem.

The toilet is on a concrete slab.

5. standardairconditioner

standardairconditioner HVAC'ker

This says all.

6. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

If you caulked all the way around it and the floor is smooth, the only place any odor could escape might be at the bolt holes. I would get down there and sniff around. But before you do any sniffing, I reccomend you clean inside the toilet and clean the outside. Then scrub the floor all the way around the toilet. Clean any walls or cabinets in that area. Use a sponge or rag and rinse it often.

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

If you are going to pull the toilet anyway, you might want to put a level on it. You could add shims when you put the bowl back.

I think an advantage of the waxless solutions is they take less skill and practice than wax. Once you settle the bowl with wax, you don't want to raise it back up to insert some shims.