Would like to buy shower valve that lets me refill tub with 100% hot water, not warm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Boshet

Reaction score
I have a crummy shower valve that when I go to add water to an already filled tub, I can only get warm, not hot water from it.

The sink next to the tub, that hot water faucet has HOT water, so obviously it is the shower valve design.

Where/what can I buy that allows me to refill a partially filled tub with 100% hot water to the effect of raising the temp of the entire tub?

Thank you in advance for your help

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're limited to 120F for filling the bathtub.

https://up.codes/viewer/california/.../plumbing-fixtures-and-fixture-fittings#409.4

Because of this, modern pressure balancing shower valves typically have a settable internal limit on the max percentage hot. That way, if the hot water tank is set to 130F, and your cold water is 50F, you can set the valve to allow at most 7/8 hot, 1/8 cold, giving you 120F water. You're supposed to set those for the warmest plausible incoming cold water, and you're supposed to reset them whenever you change the hot water tank temperature.

So if you are getting a lower temperature than 120F, it sounds like your existing valve may be misadjusted. If you can identify the valve brand and type, you can find the instructions on how to set that hot water limit. Or if you post a picture, someone here with more experience may be able to identify it.

Don't set the hot water limit above 120F, it is prohibited as a scalding hazard.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff Boshet

Reaction score
Thank you so VERY much for the help and advice.
The new cartridge set to the hotter setting did what I had hoped!
I am very grateful for your help

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Depending on the valve, you might be able to reverse the cartridge so it dispenses hot water first, since the "cold" side is not tempered. you would then turn it to "hot" or mixed to fill the tub, the to "cold" to add hot water. You would obviously have to label the valve so users would know what was what.

Jeff Boshet

Reaction score
I'll keep it standard, as in as the handle first moves it is cold, then more open to hotter. I think that is safer for people not familiar with it.
Now I can turn down the temp on my tankless a bit :0)

DIYorBust

Reaction score
They used to make a type with a button you could depress to allow the handle to turn further and make the water hotter. I thought that was a good balance of scald protection and convenience, but perhaps it's no longer acceptable.

I've in the past recalibrated some valves to go to 140. If you want to warm up the tub while taking a bath, 120 is kind of weak. But I grew up at a time when water could scald you and people knew that. You knew what was coming if you heard a toilet flush across the hall.

I'd much rather do a separate faucet for the tub though. There's no need for 140 degree water coming from the shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks