Would it be ok to install a used Culligan Mark 412 Softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

dodgent

Reaction score
Hello - my Father was in construction years ago and picked up a used Culligan Mark 412 taken out of a house they were working on. I live in the country and have hard water, I was thinking of using the water softener to save the money of buying a new system, is there any reason I couldnt use this older system, its complete and appears to be in good condition.

Would I be wasting my time with this Water Softener or what could the drawback to installing it?

I dont know anything about water softeners but I have quite a bit of plumbing / construction experiance and can do just about anything I put a mind to so im not completly in the dark about installation or modifications.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The culligan mark 412? not ringing any bells...

Rebeding the unit with new resin is not that big of a deal, the challenge would be if there are some parts for the culligan valve..

any chance of a photo? or emailing the photo?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hook it up to a garden hose (about $5.00 in parts) to make sure it works. You can pour a little chlorine in the brine tank along with about 5 gallons of water and put the unit in a draw cycle. After a complete regen, run the water for about 5 mins then take a sample and have it tested for hardness. If everything is ok, install it.

dodgent

Reaction score
The valve & timmer are all there I assume the valves are good on it. My Father says it was all working when they removed it.

I cant get a picture of it without moving some heavy objects first and I didnt plan on moving anything until I decide if I am going to use it or not.

Thanks

dodgent

Reaction score
The lines and timer have all been removed from the tank so I will have to figure out what goes to what and see if I can rig it together to test it.

Thanks

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
There could be parts for it, depending on the style of the valve..
Right now the Mark 412 as I have said is not ringing any bells..
The real challenge is going to be the media tank... the older culligans had a tank that was ALL them and if it went south then it was time to replace the unit.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF it is NOT an "aquasensor" model, then it regenerates on a specific time cycle every week, regardless of whether it needs to because of lower demand, or if it has "run out" of soft water becauses of high usage. Newer units regenerate on the basis of how much water has been used, which prevents running out of soft water or regenerating too frequently.

Rjh2o

Reaction score
The Mark 412 is just a fleck 1500 valve. Different configuration on the tank adapter. Otherwise the piston, seal kit, brine assembly are all the same. This was the first "power valve" for Culligan It is a time clock (6 day), 45k capacity system. Some of the early ones had intermatic timers. i like the suggestion of hooking it up to a garden hose first! Great idea!
RJ

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks