Working softener, rotten egg smell

Users who are viewing this thread

John Cox

Reaction score
Just moved into this house (new to use). The well was last chlorinated in April 2016 by a local water service here. It was tested for bacteria as well as a condition of the home sale.

We have a rotten egg or sewer smell in both hot and cold taps, every faucet, including outside spickets.

Upon some inspection, the smell was worst from the brine tank, so we took it off, emptied it, cleaned it with dish soap and bleach, put new salt and bottled water in it.

It didn't help any. There is a filter before the softener. A sediment filter does not improve the smell at all. A carbon filter does. Smells great. However, as soon as the softener runs, the smell returns.

The water company came out and tested the water. There is like 1 part iron. He said the softerner is working as expected. ran some bleach through the softener, and added a new sediment filter. It lasted less than a day. They recommended chlorinating the well again, every weekend, up to four more times.

I am trying to get a second opinion, becuase the carbon filter worked until the softener ran. Should I install a filter after the softener? Is it possible the softener is softening the water, but adding the smell? Just not sure what to do next.

Thanks for your assistance!

Reach4

Reaction score
Best is to install a backwashing iron+sulfur filter. Not cheap, but effective and worthwhile. Mine uses Centaur Carbon, and it has been very effective for me. A newer media is called Katalox Light. Search using the search box above for prior discussions. That backwashing filter would normally go before your sediment filter. The sediment filter will have much less to do, and will last longer.

Another very effective system is to inject chlorine or hydrogen peroxide into the water, and feed that water to a large contact tank. Then have a backwashing GAC filter to remove the chlorine or peroxide.

I also have a powered anode on my water heater. That may or may not be needed, but I ordered it before I got the backwashing filter. Not cheap, but it protects the WH nicely.

I would also sanitize my plumbing system including the well again. http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/index.php/maintainance/disinfection-and-testing is my favorite sanitizing procedure. Get some pH test paper and some high-range chlorine paper.

Bannerman

Reaction score
It was tested for bacteria as well as a condition of the home sale.
Perhaps you could post the lab test results as that maybe helpful prior to making recommendations.

I suspect the carbon filter you are currently utilizing is a cartridge type. Carbon cartridges contain only a small amount of carbon so their effective flow rate and capacity is quite low. Carbon cartridges are not recommended for whole house applications whereas a back washing filter containing 1+ cuft of carbon (filter size and appearance similar to a water softener) is appropriate for that application.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks