Woods cabin DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

Keydash

Reaction score
I am finally ready to begin plumbing my cabin in the woods. I am starting with the bathroom and have laid out the drain routes on paper. Here are the parts listed in order of connection: 3" vertical vent pipe, 90 elbow (transition to horizontal), 3x2 Y (leg up), 3x3 T, straight run of 5 feet, 90 sweep elbow (back to vertical), 3x2x2 double Y, coupling to main septic line.

The 3x2 Y will allow the connection of my shower drain, 3x3 T will accommodate the toilet, and the 3x2x2 double Y is for the bathroom sink, shower, and kitchen sink.

First question - Is this a correct/workable layout?

Second question is about venting but will give more details after the first is resolved so as not to be too confusing in this post.

plumbing.jpg
layout.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Keydash

Reaction score
OK...good point, I'll be cool and add a cleanout to my vertical vent.

If all looks good, the vents are now my main concern. The shower drain is 3' from the main line and the 3†vertical vent connection, do I need an individual vent for the shower? It seems that the closeness of the 3†vertical vent would server the purpose.

The next problem is the bath sink. It seems my options are 1) individual vertical vent 2) an AAV 3) transition to a 3" line beneath the floor 4) try to tie into the main vent.

A vertical vent is only 8 away from a functioning window, so not such a good idea.
I have noticed a few people being beaten up over AAV idea.
drain idea came out of Taunton's Plumbing Guide, sounds promising.
The main 3†vent rises above the floor about 2' then goes horizontal beneath a stair landing and into an exterior wall then up through the top plate, angles 45 degrees and follows the roof pitch inside the ceiling and turns vertical again to finally exit a couple of feet from the ridge beam. All of this to say my main line seems to be out of reach of a sink vent.

The bath sink is right at 4' form where it will connect to one leg of the double Y on the vertical main drain.

Do I need a vent for the bath sink? If so, should I use a 3" drain, or go with an AAV.

Last edited by a moderator:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Your vent is flat and unwashed, therefore it is going to plug up and not work at some point, besides being illegal.

Keydash

Reaction score
Well now this is interesting...washed vent is new to me, but I appreciate the observation. I have uploaded a modified layout. Is this more in line with a "washed vent"?

Any thoughts on my sink question.

BTW the closest plumber to my cabin is a 100 mile round trip.

Attachments

• plumbing 02.jpg
    plumbing 02.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 606
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks