Woodford faucet with non repairable seat

Users who are viewing this thread

Crestone

Reaction score
Hi all...Again I am delighted to be part of this community. I am looking forward to sharing DIY projects as well as comments and solutions.

Here is my dilemma: I have a Woodford faucet RK-14MH outdoor faucet. I have replaced washers and packing but still have a smell leak coming out of the faucet mouth. So I believe that the seat is the problem. The seat is not replaceable. I would have to cut the copper pipe, purchase couplers, etc., in order to repair with the purchase of a whole new faucet assembly.

I would like to know if I can just not mess with the copper piping with the nonreplacable seat and just purchase a type of faucet that I can replace the Woodford faucet with and leave the copper pipe and nonreplacable seat intact.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

woodford-model-14.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is my dilemma: I have a Woodford faucet RK-14MH outdoor faucet. I have replaced washers and packing but still have a smell leak coming out of the faucet mouth. So I believe that the seat is the problem. The seat is not replaceable. I would have to cut the copper pipe, purchase couplers, etc., in order to repair with the purchase of a whole new faucet assembly.
Did you use one of these kits? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Woodford-Model-14-Metal-Handle-Repair-Kit-7-Piece-RK-14MH/204792496

https://hw.menardc.com/main/items/media/EAGLE025/Prod_Tech_Spec/14CATALOG.pdf

Do you have access to the inside end of that unit? If so, replacing the unit may not be hard. Sharkbite has frost free units that do what Sharkbites are known for. https://www.sharkbite.com/us/en/brass-push-to-connect/valves/outdoor-hose-valves/frost-free-sillcock

Crestone

Reaction score
Hi Reach4: Thanks for your comments. Yes I did use the kit for the Wooford. Problem is the rubber washer at the end of the rod assembly will not seal the water completely when faucet is turned off. So the seat inside the copper pipe inside the wall is either corroded or something and allows a leak from the faucet moutn even though I replaced the rubber washer at the end of the rod as well as the packing washer.

I just want to keep intact the copper pipe and just replace the faucet head if such a faucet is available. This will allow me to not have to access the copper pipe inside the walls and cut it and then install a whole new Wooford as it has that long copper pipe. That type of repair would require cutting the pipe inside the house, purchasing couplers and copper pipe, and a whole new faucet assembly.

I hope to avaid such a repair and just replace a faucet tha will work with my described application.

If you have any additional comments as well as anyone else, please let me know.

Again I appreciate you interest and comments.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks