Wood countertop and drop in sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Merr203

Reaction score
So, I have a butcher block counter in one hand, and a drop in stainless sink in the other. I would like to get them together. I'm looking at options in addition to sink clips:

-- plumbers putty (stain free) - easier to work with, may fail over time, may still stain wood?
-- latex caulk - less easy to work with, may last longer, difficult to remove w/o damage.
-- silicone - least easy to work with, may last longest, difficult to remove w/o damage.

Any suggestions? The wood is treated with several coats of Osmo oil. I realize suggestions could include getting a different counter or a different sink -- but we're past that now. I'd just like to determine which method of securing is ideal. I'd prefer to use the putty.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like a butcher block counter top. I don’t know much about Osmo oil finish but I doubt it will hold up. My recommendation is to use oil based polyurethane to finish the countertop. There will always be wetness around the sink and the oil based polyurethane will hold up much longer.

Merr203

Reaction score
Thanks, any answers to the original question? Sealant aside, best way to mount a sink on this kind of counter?

Bannerman

Reaction score
As you mentioned 'securing', unclear if you're intending to use clips or only sealant to hold the sink in-place.
If relying on sealant to fasten the sink, then silicone would be strongest and most reliable. If looking to only prevent water penetration, then any you mentioned should work but putty may dry-out, crack and break away over time.

The counter top's existing oil finish may present an adhesion issue so you may want to test before proceeding.

Merr203

Reaction score
Thanks, good suggestion on the testing. As said above this would be in addition to sink clips.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks