wood-boiler emissions concerns

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello All,
I've been considering a wood boiler, but I am concerned about smoke/particulate emissions.

I have always heated with wood, and know how much smoke it can produce. I have talke with people from communities where the majority of people heat with wood, and there are clouds of smke that settle in the valleys.

I have been reading that the wood boilers with "water jackets" don't maintain a high heat and therfore create a large amount of smoke,

Does anybody have any more knowledge on this subject? What about this idea..

http://www.greenwoodfurnace.com/products.html

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wood

If you were in "warm" Arizona, during the wintertime, you would have a lot of "no burn" days when your furnace/boiler would have to be shut down.

Molo

Reaction score
Please don't rub it in, We'll get our first frost in less than 20 days. It will be 8 months after that until we can plant a garden and not worry about frost damage. In the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone knows about clean wood-burning emissions....

Thanks

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
molo said:
I've been considering a wood[-burning] boiler, but I am concerned about smoke/particulate emissions.

I have always heated with wood, and know how much smoke it can produce. I have talke with people from communities where the majority of people heat with wood, and there are clouds of smke that settle in the valleys.

I have been reading that the wood boilers with "water jackets" don't maintain a high heat and therfore create a large amount of smoke,

Does anybody have any more knowledge on this subject?

Hotter fires do smoke less, but that is also dependent upon the type and condition of the fuel being burned. I once read an article saying Ash is a good choice, but not as available as it used to be, and for that very reason.

If I was going to heat with wood, I would definitely go with the furnace with the insulated fire box having the heat exchanger above it ... but it would seem to me you would have to be consistently/continuously pulling a *lot* of heat from that exchanger (and possibly storing it) in order to attain the efficieny (300-degree exhaust) being claimed possible.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I was going to respond to your post the other day but did not have time.

If you use water heater for a storage tank and use a water to water elements on the top and bottom with a thermostat that controls the pump to keep the temp where you want it for your PEX tubing then you will not need tempering valves. You would have to run a second closed loop or open loop system.

As far as the emissions there not bad with that type of system. But you need to look into the flue and the temps.

I use out door wood boilers (2) and they do put out some smoke.

If you have questions let me know because I know someone with that unit.

***Some how I got 2 post mixed up in my head. By now someone is shaking there head.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks