Won't stop cracking.

Users who are viewing this thread

kari99

Reaction score
Hi. I 'm hoping I can get a little advice. I have a place on the wall of a bedroom where the drywall constantly cracks. It starts by the window frame and splits down the corner of the room (sse pic).

I've spackled and painted it a number of times, but eventually (after a month or two) the crack reappears. I think the biggest culprit causing the recrack, is when large trucks rumble down a nearby street and make the house tremble a bit.

Any tips on a permanent fix? -outside of replacing a whole big chunk of the the drywall (I don't have the skill or the money for that right now.) Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
No promises, but I have had some success in stopping cracks by using a piece of panty hose under the mud. Use a fairly wide piece so as to get a good bridge over the crack. It may or may not work, but it won't cost much to try it.

kari99

Reaction score
That's an interesting idea. I'm certainly willing to give it a shot. Thanks.

patsfan78

Web Development | HVAC
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechheat.com
In the drywall section of a home improvement store there are different patching options. I use a mesh like tape. It comes in a roll and is self adhesive.

Cut a length(s) to fit the crack and apply.

Pick up some lightweight joint compound.

Apply the compound over the tape, the wider the stroke the better.

dry, sand, repeat as necessary.

try to run a vacuum hose as you sand. it keeps the mess down.

If you did want to replace a small bit of the wall. They do sell 2 foot squares of Sheetrock for small jobs such as this.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm sure some PhD or a hated "engineer" can tell WHY this is true, but anyone who works the trade can tell you THAT this is true: Any joint in drywall, including a crack, will tend to crack. Put a piece of lowly PAPER tape over it....strong as an ox, no cracks!

kari99

Reaction score
Great. I was hoping a fix would be that simple. Thanks for the tips.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks