Wonky plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Michelle B

Reaction score
Before the tile goes up I feel that I should address this plumbing. Should the shower valve be sloped downward like this? (Delta multi choice). It points downward and to the left. It is also not lined up with tub drain. The spout is also off from center by about an inch. Should I expect this to be redone before proceeding? Thank you.

210133C7-8FD2-41C7-82B5-D3B109310483.jpeg
C4E785B0-85BE-49C4-AEA1-76F9833AE438.jpeg
D35DE8B4-ECCA-4A31-82ED-8CCC65003881.jpeg
0EA7690C-615A-4688-8E7A-A916482A682C.jpeg
1D5EF479-B200-4F50-A010-743532373A54.jpeg
847A2770-1C2C-4A0F-9837-15BC5A9AC000.jpeg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would think so, but others may have a stronger opinion on the matter.

I just wanted to be sure you have a plan for proper waterproofing of your tub surround, including the joint between the tub flange and the cement board. [Typically cement board is installed to lap over the flange and stop 1/4" above the tub deck, which was not done in your photos.] Contrary to popular conception, while cement board, tile and grout are all water resistant, none of them are water proof; they will all water to pass through them. Which you don't want getting to your framing, so you need a water proofing layer.

Cheers, Wayne

Michelle B

Reaction score
Thank you for responding Wayne. The contractor is using red guard. He put silicone from flange to cement board. Hopefully that will cut it? But this plumbing looks kinda off to me.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Redguard can do well for the cement board itself. But it alone is not adequate for that cement board/tub flange joint.

If the cement board were installed over the flange as is typical, with a small gap caulked with silicone or the like, and the cement board Redguarded, that would work. The overlap gives a shingling effect. I don't think Redguard will stick to the tub (not sure) or reliably bridge the current gap (quite sure). So as is, water will run down the Redguarded cement board, hit the gap, wick around the bottom edge of the Redguard, and get to the framing.

It looks like the flange is flush with the face of the cement board in some of your photos. That can happen if the framed opening is a little too big for the tub; it should be a tight fit on 3 sides. The usual way to address that is to fur out the framing as required so that the backside of the cement board is in plane with the face of the flange. That way the cement board can hang down and overlap the flange, as designed, while still remaining flat.

Furring and rehanging the cement board would be one solution to the current problem. It would also require resetting the shower valve to the proper depth to account for the furring. But it sounds like that may be required anyway, because I agree it looks quite wonky.

Cheers, Wayne

Michelle B

Reaction score
The contractor put silicone around tub where it meets with cement board. Is this not sufficient with the red guard? Should I address this?

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
It is not unreasonable to demand a "Professional" job if you are hiring a Professional to do it. By all means hold them accountable.
That valve cannot be properly secured in the wall otherwise it would not be angled like that,
Yes the tub drain, the overflow, the tub spout,the valve and the shower arm all should be on a single verticle line and centered.
Is this contractor required to have this job permitted and inspected? Don't ask him ask your Building Standards official.
The domestic water plumbing has changed (addition/changing of valve) and therefore should be inspected by Code Official depending upon your states requirements.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks