Wondering why is no air gap required for a washing machine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Why are you allowed to insert the drain hose from a clothes washing machine into the standpipe or into the laundry sink, but for other things you are supposed to have the discharge above the rim of the standpipe or sink? As far as I can tell, you are not supposed to even let the drain hose from a softener be right down to the floor-level grate. That one, as has been discussed, is a bit paranoid by the rule makers.

A humidifier overflow and a bunch of things are suppose to have an air gap I think.

How did the washing machine escape so far? Maybe because the rule makers all have washing machines?

I am not arguing for washing machine drain connections to have air gaps.

Any speculation on this?

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
A clothes washing machine has a air gap.

Or did you confuse me ?

Have a great day.

Mike Garrod

Mike G
Reaction score
The air gap is the point in between where the water enters the fixture and where the water exits the fixture. Saying you need an air gap between the drain hose and the standpipe is like saying you need an air gap between the tailpiece of your sink and the p-trap that serves it. So In my opinion, they do have air gaps.

DonL

Reaction score
The air gap is the point in between where the water enters the fixture and where the water exits the fixture. Saying you need an air gap between the drain hose and the standpipe is like saying you need an air gap between the tailpiece of your sink and the p-trap that serves it. So In my opinion, they do have air gaps.

That is what I was thinking.

I may not be loosing my mind after all.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The washer is not allowed to have a solid connection to the drain, because the standpipe is acting as an air gap. If the drain were to back up and overflow, it would spill out onto the floor. The purpose of an air gap is to prevent contaminated water from being pulled back into the water supply system. This would be nearly impossible with a clothes washer due to it's design.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the air gap for a sink is the distance that the faucet is above the flood level for the bowl.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I think the air gap for a sink is the distance that the faucet is above the flood level for the bowl.

Correct, if the faucet were in the sink, there would be a potential for it to pull contaminated water back into the supply system. On a top load clothes washer, the fill is above the flood rim of the drum.

Reach4

Reaction score
Correct, if the faucet were in the sink, there would be a potential for it to pull contaminated water back into the supply system. On a top load clothes washer, the fill is above the flood rim of the drum.
I see that. In the case of a front load washer, there is a seal. So at first glance, that would seem to be similar to a dishwasher. Maybe there is an opening to air in the front-loading washing machine? Yes, that makes sense. The front loader would actually have a tub that contains the rotating cylinder, and that can be open at the top. Thanks.

I am thinking that the thought pattern is "what happens if there is a vacuum in the water supply pipe, the sewer line is backing up or at least full to the brim somehow, and the water supply valve opens?" If the vacuum sucks sewage, they want an air gap generally.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
When you can make water run up hill at atmospheric pressure, Then you may need to worry.

DonL

Reaction score
One thing that you will notice on most washing machine, is that the fill Valves are above the fill line, and the fill outlet is in open air.

It would be almost impossible to contaminant the supply, or create a vacuum.

If you suck sewage into your machine, That proves shit does roll up hill.

Just re-wash the clothes, after taking pictures. :D

Mike Garrod

Mike G
Reaction score
The washer is not allowed to have a solid connection to the drain, because the standpipe is acting as an air gap. If the drain were to back up and overflow, it would spill out onto the floor. The purpose of an air gap is to prevent contaminated water from being pulled back into the water supply system. This would be nearly impossible with a clothes washer due to it's design.
But even if the standpipe did backup, and somehow got back into the machine,
It still wouldn't be in the potable water system...I wouldn't call the drain hose into the stand pipe an air gap. But that's just me.

DonL

Reaction score
No mater what you call it, call Ripley if 1 atmosphere Sucks, at your location.

I would like to see that. I can see a puckered A$$ hole now. Please do focus your pictures.

I am not right, My mother had me tested.

Please donate to my Fundme account if you think I need help.

Or just send me a fruitcake. I miss the fruitcake lady.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks