Wonderboard x2... okay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Doohickie

Reaction score
So... I was cleaning my shower Saturday and cleaned a little too hard... I pushed a couple tiles right through the (wet, rotten) greenboard it was glued to. I ended up taking that whole section of wall down. The original construction was studs, 1/2" sheetrock, 1/2" greenboard, tile.

I added extra studs (there was only one in the ~30" span of wall), and I'm wondering.... is it okay to use two thicknesses of 1/2" Wonderboard, instead of sheetrock plus Wonderboard, behind the 4" wall tile?

One sheet of Wonderboard would be enough, as opposed to buying some Wonderboard and a sheet of sheetrock.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I think I would just fur out the studs so that one layer of 1/2" cement board will land where you need it to be

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Neither greenboard nor drywall should be used anywhere in a wet environment! You saw what happened, and it could be worse - lots of mold can rot out the structure behind. Any version of cbu should be okay, but the recommendation is to put a layer of vapor retarder behind it on the studs (plastic or roofing felt). Lap that over the tub's tiling flange. Caulk changes of plane, do not grout.

Doohickie

Reaction score
It wasn't as bad as it could have been. The greenboard was bad, but the wallboard behind it, while soft, was still white and not discolored. The wood behind it looked brand new.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll stick to the original plan and put up 2 thicknesses of Wonderboard. I already have the stuff and don't plan on using it for anything else. I got the longest screws so they should stay in place okay. The roof felt is a good idea!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks