Wonderboard installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy

Reaction score
I am installing porcelain ceramic floor tile in bathroom. House is 40 years old. Sub flooring in good shape consists of 5/8" plywood mounted on 1x6 boards layed over joists. Since the base looks very sound, I am using 1/4' wonderboard as a backer for the tile. My question is: I plan to use modified thinset and then use 1 5/8 screws 6-8 inches apart. Is it necessary that I mesh tape all the seams? I am a bit nervous about creating "humps" at the tape seams and cause cracking pressure on the tiles. With a solid screwed in procedure is it ok to simply fill in the seams with thin set and smooth to the surface ...I plan to do that at wall edges.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Nope, you need to tape the seams, but you don't have to do it in advance...you can do it when you lay the tile. That helps prevent speed bumps. Go over to www.johnbridge.com and use their deflection calculator to verify your joists are strong enough. You probaby have enough subfloor, but you need to verify the joists. Make sure to follow the instructions and put the thinset under the wonderboard, too. This is very important to fill any minor imperfections with the thinset so the wonderboard is fully supported. That site can help out.

Guy

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. I think I will opt for the tape while tiling method to avert the speed bumps. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks