Wiring LED signal indicator for well pump with Franklin 2823008110 control box

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerry House

Reaction score
Need to know how I can safely and correctly wire 110v led indicator so that I can visually know when well pump is operating. Pump has 4 wire system. Box has well marked l1 l2 yel blk and red connection lugs. I understand all aspects of those connections, except function of Yellow wire which have been told is NOT a neutral, but rather a Common (?) Wire. Not having a neutral, and thinking it should Not be connected to a ground lug..what is my best option for a proper and safe connection.. would it be a better option to connect to the pressure switch on the bladder tank which is also 220v with no neutral..

Reach4

Reaction score
Box has well marked l1 l2 yel blk and red connection lugs. I understand all aspects of those connections, except function of Yellow wire which have been told is NOT a neutral, but rather a Common (?) Wire.
You would want to use l1, and l2, and not the other three wires.

There are a lot of led fixtures and indicators that can run on 240 volts.

I think there is a way to run a neutral to power a 120 volt light, I think using one of the ones that run on a range of maybe 100 to 240 will simplify things. What kind of light are you thinking? Tiny indicator, ceiling light, yard light?

Jerry House

Reaction score

I think there is a way to run a neutral to power a 120 volt light, I think using one of the ones that run on a range of maybe 100 to 240 will simplify things. What kind of light are you thinking? Tiny indicator, ceiling light, yard light?

Jerry House

Reaction score
Yes,I understand the use of either L1 or L2 since each Carrie's 110v , my primary concern is for proper grounding of the small led blinking 110 v indicator light I will be using. Btw,,thanks for your rapid reply to my post

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes,I understand the use of either L1 or L2 since each Carrie's 110v , my primary concern is for proper grounding of the small led blinking 110 v indicator light I will be using. Btw,,thanks for your rapid reply to my post
What is the flashing indicator part you were hoping to use?

Jerry House

Reaction score

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I neutral wire is not used in a 240 volt system. Line 1 uses line 2 as it's neutral and vice versa. A neutral conductor is only used in a 120 volt system. So there is no need to run a neutral wire to a 240 volt control box.

I have never been asked to wire a run light to a single phase pump start box. Though I have d one it in 3 phase irrigation pump panels. And installed hour meters. In those instances we are utilizing a delay in the pump panel.

Your options would be
Use a 240 volt light
Run a neutral wire to use
Use a relay that uses a 240 volt coil and makes or breaks a separate 120 volt circuit for the light.

Jerry House

Reaction score
I neutral wire is not used in a 240 volt system. Line 1 uses line 2 as it's neutral and vice versa. A neutral conductor is only used in a 120 volt system. So there is no need to run a neutral wire to a 240 volt control box.

I have never been asked to wire a run light to a single phase pump start box. Though I have d one it in 3 phase irrigation pump panels. And installed hour meters. In those instances we are utilizing a delay in the pump panel.

Your options would be
Use a 240 volt light
Run a neutral wire to use
Use a relay that uses a 240 volt coil and makes or breaks a separate 120 volt circuit for the light.

Jerry House

Reaction score
Thank a bunch for that valuable info. From what your reply indicates, a 240v indicator wiring schematic would simply bridge L1 and L2 since each serve as the others neutral.. and no ground involved.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, not quite right. To meet NEC code you need;

1. a current carrying conductor.

2. A neutral conductor to complete the electrical citcuit. In a 240 volt circuit, each current carrying conductor serves as the neutral for the other conductor.

3. An equipment grounding conductor. Unless the device is "intrinsically safe" or double insulated so that a person cannot be shocked by the device. Examples would be devices with two prong plugs rather than a three prong plug. Their exterior is made of nonconductive materials.

So any circuit consists of a minimum of three conductors to meet Code.

HardDrinkin'Lincoln

Reaction score
Need to know how I can safely and correctly wire 110v led indicator so that I can visually know when well pump is operating. Pump has 4 wire system. Box has well marked l1 l2 yel blk and red connection lugs. I understand all aspects of those connections, except function of Yellow wire which have been told is NOT a neutral, but rather a Common (?) Wire. Not having a neutral, and thinking it should Not be connected to a ground lug..what is my best option for a proper and safe connection.. would it be a better option to connect to the pressure switch on the bladder tank which is also 220v with no neutral..
I would use neon lamp indicator like this one from DigiKey and wire it to L1 and L2.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would use neon lamp indicator like this one from DigiKey and wire it to L1 and L2.
See #8-- he wants the indicator on the outside of the well house, and see-able from a distance. He also prefers flashing I had messaged him some suggestions, but I suspect he did not look at his Inbox.

Red is often suggested for an indicator light that can be seen in daylight, without being too dazzling at night.

Reach4

Reaction score
Any device you know of with large enough that would be visible from a distance
Click Inbox above. I had suggested some assuming you were price-sensitive.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks