WIRING FLOAT SWITCH

Users who are viewing this thread

Jazzman

Reaction score
Installation of new submersible well pump is almost complete on low-producing well. Thanks to all who have shared their expertise!

Final Question: Does it matter which hot wire you utilize to install float switch on 3-wire 230v pump. As I understand it the red wire is used on start up, the black wire is utilized once motor is up to speed. The wire you don’t use will remain hot?

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
The float switch goes in one of the current carrying conductors between the breaker and the control box. Not between the control box and the motor.

Personally I prefer to wire the float switch to control a 2 pole relay and break both current carrying conductors.

Jazzman

Reaction score
The float switch goes in one of the current carrying conductors between the breaker and the control box. Not between the control box and the motor.

Personally I prefer to wire the float switch to control a 2 pole relay and break both current carrying conductors.

That’s interesting. Then it is acting the same as a pressure switch, right? Because a pressure switch breaks both current carrying conductors.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Like Boyce says it is better to cut both lines using a relay. But the pump will shut off as long as one of the two lines is open, and will work the same way with a pressure switch.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Jazzman

Reaction score
Like Boyce says it is better to cut both lines using a relay. But the pump will shut off as long as one of the two lines is open, and will work the same way with a pressure switch.

View attachment 55829

That looks like a safer approach. So if I look for a relay would it be a dpdt(double pole, double throw)?

Thanks to you both!

Jazzman

Reaction score
DPDT would do it, but you could also use DPST NO (normally open).

Here is a schematic picture from https://www.instructables.com/id/All-You-Need-to-Know-About-Relays/
Thanks for the schem
FH9GOP0HVGXZRGC.LARGE.jpg
DPDT would do it, but you could also use DPST NO (normally open).

Here is a schematic picture from https://www.instructables.com/id/All-You-Need-to-Know-About-Relays/

FH9GOP0HVGXZRGC.LARGE.jpg
Finally, if anybody could recommend a particular contactor model for 3/4 hp 230 volt pump I would greatly appreciate it! Local supply house only had Franklin version for 3 hp pump priced at $175.00. Seems kind of pricey!

Reach4

Reaction score
Finally, if anybody could recommend a particular contactor model for 3/4 hp 230 volt pump I would greatly appreciate it! Local supply house only had Franklin version for 3 hp pump priced at $175.00. Seems kind of pricey!
Will you mount it into a box? $25 price range? There are "definate purpose" relays that are a component that you mount on a panel and protect in a box.
Do you want it enclosed and able to mount indoors on a box? Not that much more expensive.
Do you want it rated for outdoor use? $75 price range?
Do you want an auxiliary switch that can force the relay energized for testing?
Do you want the coil controlled by 120 vac (hot and neutral)? 240 vac? 24 vac? Or you provide a contact closure, and the relay routes the power?

Example: Functional Devices RIB01P30-S is an Enclosed Relay 30 Amp DPST and Coil Side Override w/ 120 VAC Coil. That side coil override is that switch to energize without the coil being energized. I would like to think that the switch is momentary, but I don't know at this time. This unit can mount on an electrical box. https://www.functionaldevices.com/downloads/datasheets/RIB01P30-S.pdf

RIB2402B2G would be a 20 amp DPDT relay without the switch. Can accept 24 vac or 240 vac, depending how you wire it. https://www.functionaldevices.com/products/building-automation/details/RIB2402B2G/

There are others.

Last edited:

Jazzman

Reaction score
Will you mount it into a box? $25 price range? There are "definate purpose" relays that are a component that you mount on a panel and protect in a box.
Do you want it enclosed and able to mount indoors on a box? Not that much more expensive.
Do you want it rated for outdoor use? $75 price range?
Do you want an auxiliary switch that can force the relay energized for testing?
Do you want the coil controlled by 120 vac (hot and neutral)? 240 vac? 24 vac? Or you provide a contact closure, and the relay routes the power?

Example: Functional Devices RIB01P30-S is an Enclosed Relay 30 Amp DPST and Coil Side Override w/ 120 VAC Coil. That side coil override is that switch to energize without the coil being energized. I would like to think that the switch is momentary, but I don't know at this time. This unit can mount on an electrical box. https://www.functionaldevices.com/downloads/datasheets/RIB01P30-S.pdf

RIB2402B2G would be a 20 amp DPDT relay without the switch. Can accept 24 vac or 240 vac, depending how you wire it. https://www.functionaldevices.com/products/building-automation/details/RIB2402B2G/

There are others.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I’m going to mount it in non-metallic box inside pump house.

Jazzman

Reaction score
Thanks Valveman! In the schematic you posted with Cycle Sensor, doesn’t the coil in relay operate on 240 volt? There’s jumper from line 1 to coil. Coil is then energized when float switch is closed applying 240 volts to coil. Just trying to grasp the basics. Wouldn’t you need a neutral wire to operate 120 volt coil?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks