Wiring 2 way switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Construct30

Reaction score
How do you know this is low-voltage wire????
The OP is in LEBANON!!! The country, NOT Lebanon Pa.
Have you seen the type of wire they use there? I haven't. Maybe that is standard issue wire. :rolleyes:

You know originally I did not say it was low voltage wire, someone else did. Once you jumped on me about it, I looked at the blown up picture and agreed. Everyone could take your route on this forum and there would be no forum, I gave no bad advice just information. I could have said it doesn't matter hook it up, but I didn't. That would be bad advice. Instead I gave information based on the little that we know and can see. I can go to any question asked on this forum by a DIYer and say we can't help you go away, many choose to try to give information. I try really hard to not give advice that would put someone in danger, if/when I do I'm glad that there are others here that will catch it and when that happens I will back down and admit I was wrong. In this case urging caution was in my opinion the correct thing to do. IF it is the correct wire and switch then buy a box and some conduit and run it properly. If you want a temporary switch system on a lamp then buy a ready made lamp with a remote set of switches.

Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I can go to any question asked on this forum by a DIYer and say we can't help you go away, many choose to try to give information.
If you knew me you'd know I do not typically do that, NOR did I do that in this case.
What I did do is say the OP is in a VERY foreign country and I have NO clue what they are working with, NOR do most of us. This is a North American based site with pretty much every one of us knowing only North American systems.

If you've ever been in another country, or have seen some of the electrical systems outside the US, Canada and much of Europe, you'd know many times codes and safe practices have very little value.

If anyone know how Lebanese electrical systems work and what the possible local codes are PLEASE speak up!

Construct30

Reaction score
If you've ever been in another country, or have seen some of the electrical systems outside the US, Canada and much of Europe, you'd know many times codes and safe practices have very little value.

If anyone know how Lebanese electrical systems work and what the possible local codes are PLEASE speak up!

I didn't say it was against Lebanese electrical codes, Did I? It is wrong according to the 2006 INTERNATIONAL Residential Building Code. I'm sorry you think that every country other than ours is backward, I don't agree. Parts of our country are not up to code, but that doesn't make it right. I've seen pictures of some pretty nice, beautiful high rise buildings in Lebanon, they are equal or better than ours. Watch Discovery channel once and a while. I love talking to people from other parts of the world in these forums the more the merrier. I do agree with you, many building practices are different,that happens even with in our own country or sometimes a state.

I'm sorry if I some how insulted you, but insulting the rest of the world with your comment about safe practices having no value... insert angry imocon thingy here.
Most people place "value on safe practices" no matter where they live.

I did study a Vulcan wiring diagram for a star ship once, I couldn't figure out the Klingon one though, it made no sense what so ever. Does that count.

I can keep this up a long long time.

Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I'm sorry you think that every country other than ours is backward, I don't agree.
I DID NOT say that. Not at all.
Once again, you are trying to put words in my mouth and make it look like I am conveying a different message than I am. Sorry, this will NOT work with me.

Again, if you knew me you'd know I can go on as long as anyone. Probably too long in most people's opinions. I acknowledge this so I will end this for now. I have presents to wrap and "A Christmas Story" to watch.

Good night and good luck!

Merry Christmas!

Construct30

Reaction score

I read all your past posts and I know you enjoy a good discussion as much as I do. Like nine pages of posts I'm impressed.

Sorry you have to go. Later.

Merry Christmas.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I haven't been in the Middle East but I have been in Latin America. Electrical systems in those areas are highly variable, depending on the economic situation of the owner.

The CODE in those areas is simply: Do anything that gets the power to where you need it.

A conductor may be anything that conducts electricity. An insulator may be anything that keeps two conductors from touching where it would cause a problem. A junction box may be a metal or plastic container that once contained soup, or it may be the air space within 2" of where some wires are spliced. A "service" may consist of a couple of #12 or #14 wrapped around the wires of a utility and run to a 2x4 attached to a building before running through a hole in the wall.

One of the more "modern" installation that I saw was a swimming pool filter system where the 240 Volt pumps were connected to standard 15 Amp/120 Volt duplex receptacles that had been wired to 240 Volts. One of the maintenance people complained that his 120 Volt drill had failed after a short time plugged into such a receptacle.

People who want to operate a light bulb or a color TV set will do whatever it takes to get the power to it and will determine by experience what will do that job.

So operating a light with some kind of switch that may have come out of a washing machine, over conductors that may have begun their life as communication wire, will be tried; and if it works it will be done again and again.

There are people in those areas who have become "expert" at such things and they are the professionals in such areas. They may acquire a meter somewhere along the way.

I saw a welder on a site who had a 225 Amp AC "Buzz Box" welder that was supplied by 80 ft leads stripped out of a piece of #12 Romex that he had acquired somewhere. There was no ground and the ends had a pair of clamps that could be connected to any convenient pair of wires on either side of the meter.

Construct30

Reaction score
If I may "guess" or assume, if someone posts on the forum they have a more modern lifestyle. He might have done it from work, but Lebanon is an advanced culture, war sucks, but their cities are beautiful and modern.

Granted we would all do what ever was necessary in certain situations, most of us can only imagine, if we wanted to.

Now you all make me wonder.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks