Wiremold on ungrounded circuit

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Spielbass, Jun 10, 2021 at 12:22 PM.

1. Spielbass

Spielbass New Member

It appears to me that NEC 250.86 allows for extending a circuit with raceway (Wiremold) on an ungrounded circuit up to 25 feet. Can someone please verify whether I read that correctly. Thanks for your help.

Neil

2. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

Based on the question, you are presumably asking about metallic Wiremold. As Wiremold is usually run exposed, how would you comply with part (4) of Exception (1) which requires the Wiremold to be "guarded against contact by persons"? If it's covered up, a different metallic raceway would make more sense. But as the circuit is ungrounded, I would suggest a non-metallic wiring method. E.g. non-metallic wiremold.

Cheers, Wayne

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
  5. Spielbass

Spielbass New Member

Sorry I wasn't more specific. Yes, I had planned to use non-metallic Wiremold.

6. Spielbass

Spielbass New Member

I have a receptacle behind a bed, and I want to use the Wiremold to extend out to each side of the bed, about 3 feet in either direction. One duplex receptacle on either side of the bed.
    I've read the exemptions, and by using non-metallic Wiremold this seems to meet all, except that "guarded from contact by persons" is a bit ambiguous. Does that mean the Wiremold has to be in a place where nobody can possibly touch it?

7. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

If you use non-metallic wiremold and a non-metallic box, then 250.86 is moot, as there are no metallic raceways or enclosures involved.

If your receptacle behind the bed does not have an EGC, then it should be a 2 prong receptacle, unless you either (a) comply with 250.130(C) to provide an EGC or (b) comply with 406.4(D).

Since 406.4(D) only discusses receptacle replacement, I believe you are not allowed to extend an ungrounded circuit without complying with 250.130(C) to turn it into a grounded circuit. Edit: Often complying with 250.130(C) is no easier than running a new grounded circuit to the area, which is then a better solution.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 10:00 PM
  8. Norcal01

Norcal01 Member

Extending the circuit triggers AFCI, & tamperproof receptacle requirements, better to run a new circuit rather then deal with ancient wiring.