Wire Toner Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Vaporhead

Reaction score
hello all.

I am trying to find a buried valve. I purchased a underground wire toner, but it's giving me problems. I hook up the toner red clip to the valve wire at the controller, and the black to ground. When I walk the yard, the toner seems to be picking up the common wire going to all the exposed valve boxes and I cannot distinguish that from the individual valve wire. Any suggestions?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
hello all.

I am trying to find a buried valve. I purchased a underground wire toner, but it's giving me problems. I hook up the toner red clip to the valve wire at the controller, and the black to ground. When I walk the yard, the toner seems to be picking up the common wire going to all the exposed valve boxes and I cannot distinguish that from the individual valve wire. Any suggestions?
For some reason several post months old are showing up today. I check this forum several times a day and a few other members.

I have the same tool and it cannot do what you want it to do. It's good for tracing the run which usually is buried with the pipe. It did help me out once or twice. When the signal stops start digging carefully if you're looking for a cut wire. It will not find a bad solenoid. The signal goes through the solenoid to the common side and the receiver picks that up.

If you're looking for a buried zone box, use a pitch fork or shovel and start piecing the ground as the signal travels along the turf.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks