Wire new receptacles from outlet at main panel??

Users who are viewing this thread

MacC

Reaction score
There's no room in my panel for new circuits. There is a duplex outlet at the panel on its own 20A breaker. Can I swap that outlet for a GFCI and use it to wire new receptacles (a couple of lights and outlets) in a small detached outbuilding about 10 feet from my house? I would use regular 12-2 from the panel outlet and junction to direct bury UF before it leaves the house.

Note: The outbuilding had power when I bought the house, but I didn't trust what was there and disconnected it. It was on a shared 15A circuit from the main house, and there was visible damage and repair to the UF cable feeding the building.

JerryR

Reaction score
No toom for new circuits? You can always use twin single pole breakers to free up space for another circuit.

jerryr-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuff

Reaction score
Plan sounds fine. There are a few exceptions for branching of of the receptacle. If it is for a circuit serving laundry or garage then it likely can't be shared.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks