Wire new receptacles from outlet at main panel??

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by MacC, Jun 24, 2020.

1. MacC

MacC New Member

There's no room in my panel for new circuits. There is a duplex outlet at the panel on its own 20A breaker. Can I swap that outlet for a GFCI and use it to wire new receptacles (a couple of lights and outlets) in a small detached outbuilding about 10 feet from my house? I would use regular 12-2 from the panel outlet and junction to direct bury UF before it leaves the house.

Note: The outbuilding had power when I bought the house, but I didn't trust what was there and disconnected it. It was on a shared 15A circuit from the main house, and there was visible damage and repair to the UF cable feeding the building.

2. JerryR

JerryR Active Member

No toom for new circuits? You can always use twin single pole breakers to free up space for another circuit.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2020
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Stuff

Stuff Well-Known Member

Plan sounds fine. There are a few exceptions for branching of of the receptacle. If it is for a circuit serving laundry or garage then it likely can't be shared.