Wire a three wire 120v well pump directly into pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

jypper

Reaction score
My situation is a bit unique. I use a well submersible pump place directly into the water of our lake mounted on a fencepost at the bottom of our cove. I had our 120volt 2 wire well pump just go down after 16 years of service. I purchased a new pump and did not ask them about 2 wire or 3 wire because I assumed a 120volt 1/2 horsepower pump would only come as a 2 wire. I was surprised to see the extra wire on the pump when replacing. The old pump was wired directly to the pressure switch. My question is this: Because this is a 120volt pump and only a 1/2 horsepower, can I wire it directly to the pressure switch by only wiring one of the motor hots to the hot lead? I do not want to mount a capacitor well box. I would rather just get a 2 wire pump to keep it simple. Just thought that maybe I had a chance that this pump might work being it is only 120v.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I think your new pump is also a two-wire. Perhaps you are confused by a third green wire which is a protection ground.

New three-wire pumps have four wires when counting the green wire.

jypper

Reaction score
I have four wires. I would expect one-white neutral one-black hot lead, one- green ground, what is the red for? Doesn't make sense to me as it seems like it would be used for a control box for the red and black?

jypper

Reaction score
My apologies. I have green-yellow-red-black. No white. Can you tell me what is what?

jypper

Reaction score
I think this pump is made to go onto a control box. The pump is used to bring lake water up for lawn irrigation. Is there any way I can forego the control box on a this 120volt pump? .5 horsepower. Should be around 8amps load. If not I will trade it in and have to wait a few weeks for a new one. Thanks for your help.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think this pump is made to go onto a control box. The pump is used to bring lake water up for lawn irrigation. Is there any way I can forego the control box on a this 120volt pump?
No way.

You should power your pump in the water via a GFCI.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What is the model number and didn't it come with instructions? The Instructions should tell you if a capacitor is needed and a control box.

https://cf.ltkcdn.net/homeimprovement/files/3474-110volt3wiresubpump.pdf

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 6.23.45 PM.jpg

https://www.nassaunationalcable.com...vwtraaSSwrFo79ygrx7uZi9cJNkwD5-RoC16gQAvD_BwE

pump_heavy_duty_2245f51b-d2b6-4093-9017-890094a07985_1024x1024@2x.jpg

jypper

Reaction score
I have been informed by our local well driller that this pump will burn up if attempting to go direct with 120 volt. So I will replace this pump with a 2 wire. I do have a GFCI installed and I appreciate the help from others on this string.

Reach4

Reaction score
Put a flow inducer sleeve on your pump to keep the motor cooler. Your 1/2 HP pump is less likely to have much life-shortening heat, but a piece of PVC is cheap. You can search for construction methods, but essentially you want a the pump in piece of 4 inch pvc pipe that opens at the bottom for water flow, and is sealed above the to prevent flow in from the top. That flows water past the motor. This can be the thin green sewer pipe, or the white schedule 40. The thin stuff can make for easier construction.

You can put your wire cage/screen around the bottom of the pvc to keep out the fish and other solids.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks