Winterizing Washer in Seasonal Cottage

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
Have a new front loader Maytag washer at my seasonal (heat off in winter - temps down to 20 below zero at times) cottage in Northern Michigan.
I blow out the water lines (on well) and drain water supply lines and pour RV antifreeze into traps and toilet.
Have been told by appliance repair technician that "residual water" will be trapped in the PUMP and FILL VALVE.
Any suggestions on how to properly winterize the washer and avoid damaging it during freezing temperatures? Thanks.

Jacobsond

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nielsenelectric.com
RV antifreeze is not a bad idea. A gallon or less and pump out if you can. When washers are sold new there is already water in it from factory testing. Guess what in the winter the pumps freeze during shipping. So the pump is not a big problem if it freezes. On the other hand the water valves may crack. Unhook the hoses and blow air in them to hopefully make them not crack over the winter.Make sure you check the valves in the springtime and dont leave the water on when you are not there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks