Winterizing gas water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

sjay

Reaction score
House in Chicago(cold weather) will be vacant for 3 months this winter. Water will be shut off and pipes drained, antifreeze in all traps, gas furnace turned down to 60 degrees also have backup heat source so house stays at 60 degrees inside. The only question I have is about gas hot water heater, I don't want to drain it. with water already off and pipes drained there won't be any pressure to the inlet side of tank, I'm going to leave several sink hot water faucets on to ease any pressure from outlet side of tank and leave tank heat level on at low setting. Am I ok. with hot water tank or am I missing something?

sjay

Reaction score
that answers part of my question,i was looking for advice if it's ok "with water already off and pipes drained there won't be any pressure to the inlet side of tank, I'm going to leave several sink hot water faucets on to ease any pressure from outlet side of tank and leave tank heat level on at low setting. Am I safe with hot water tank in that condition or am I missing something?

sjay

Reaction score
Why not just drain it and shut it off?
My brother drained and shutoff his 3 year old tank and year later it leaked,his plumber told him keeping tank drained caused it too rust out,something about an anode not working when there is no water in tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks