Winterizing Domestic Plumbing/Purge Baseboard Loop

Users who are viewing this thread

Wide Glide

Reaction score
New member and have 2 questions,

I had a plumber winterize my vaca tion home and did watch closely on how he did it, and has it call me back for this year so I may be faced with doing it myself. The house has a well and oil boiler with a tankless coil. He drained the welltrol first and don't know if he drain with the pump with the welltrol isolated or drain all the cold side of the domestic from the welltrol. Then I think he closed the both hot and cold valves then removed the pressure relief valve and put a gate valve on and don't know if he drain the hot and cold at his point. Then he pumped RV antifreeze into the system, then opened the cold side of the domestic then after a while open the hot side, then after a while and still pumping the antifreeze sent me up stairs and had me open the faucets from the top floor, then downstairs. Do I have the process down or I'm missing something. Hopefully he will call back and I will not have to do it myself.

Second question, I had the 2nd floor baseboard repair and are not getting heat out of that loop. The circulator is running and the pipe is luke warm to the touch, 1st floor piping is extremely hot to the touch. It is a oil fire boiler and the circulator are at the rear of the boiler goes to the bottom of the boiler with a shut off valve below the pumps. Do I close the shut off below the pumps, set the t-stat to run the pump on that loop and open the gate valve to purge the loop while hose is submerged in a bucket?

Sorry for the long post.
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks