Winterize Ant-sweat valve

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by fidodie, Aug 21, 2011.

1. fidodie

fidodie New Member

computers
    Hi All,

My Dad is a snowbird - NY/FL -

in the winter, the NY house is shut down - in the summer, the toilet sweats to the point there is a puddle!

After a couple years of threatening, I will install an anti-sweat valve - it occured to me that it has check valves to prevent the comingling of hot/cold.

to be safe, i could install a drain, but it adds to the complications of winterizing.

Are there tempering valves that address this issue?
    Am I overthinking the issue?

I couldn't find any useful information on this topic!!

Many thanks.

Pat

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    I installed my anti-sweat mixing valve in an easy to access spot in the crawlspace. Basically it is the last thing at the end of the hot and cold 3/4" headers which are sloped for drainage.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    Bying an "antisweat" tank for your toilet, or a new toilet with one, might be a cheaper way to do it.

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    ANother thing to consider is that all of the newer 1.6g or less toilets retain a moderately large tank. When those are flushed, they do NOT use all of the water in the tank, so unless it has recently been flushed, the incoming water gets warmed up from the water already in the tank. Plus, since it doesn't take all that much to refill the tank, the incoming water may not be all that cold. So, there generally isn't much of a toilet sweating issue with the newer ones. If the toilet gets marathon use, then yes, it can get cold enough to sweat enough to be annoying. For 'normal' people and situations, generally that isn't the case anymore. If you're one of those people that flush the toilet 2-3x while sitting there, I guess all bets are off, and a tempering valve may be a good option.

6. fidodie

fidodie New Member

computers
    Thanks for the advice - it is a high use WC when the family is there - 6 adults, 5 kids + friends -
    I'm going to try the valve approach. incoming water is below 50deg, and the whole unit sweats,
    which is really nice in the middle of the night.

i'm able to 'blow' into the valve and get a air by the checkvalves - so hopefully it will leak the water down to the open endpoint
    in the winter.

will update with results.