Win98se startup problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Can anyone here help me fix a Win98se startup problem?

I keep my OS “lean and cleanâ€, and everything was quite fine until just a few weeks ago when I replaced my dialup with DSL and ended up deleting my user000.pwl file because the OS would not accept my previously-set user password for either automatic or manual network login. Since then, my OS commonly (but not always) locks up just a second or so after the automatic login appears to have completed. Sometimes the system will then come all the way up after an Alt-Ctrl-Del restart, but sometimes it takes several restarts before it continues past login. I have tried booting with the DSL modem off and with it on, and that does not seem to consistently make any real difference.

Does anyone here know what might be (or likely is) wrong?

Thank you!

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
update

Well, my startup problem somehow went away at about the same time I had finished installing Win2k on a newer and faster computer about a week ago ... but then I really blew it earlier this evening while trying to remove and reinstall my printer driver ... so now I have to start all over again ...

Things sure were much simpler in my Commodore days!

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I have a Commodore 64 flight Sim system brand new in the box I picked up at a goodwill for 20 bucks. The comp , floppys, and software are still in the original factery sealed wrap. Only thing that is missing is the two joy sticks. Guess they bought it just for the joy sticks.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I have a Commodore 64 flight Sim system brand new in the box I picked up at a goodwill for 20 bucks. The comp , floppys, and software are still in the original factery sealed wrap. Only thing that is missing is the two joy sticks. Guess they bought it just for the joy sticks.
**** that sucker,It will pay for your retirement.:D

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I have a Commodore 64 flight Sim system brand new in the box I picked up at a goodwill for 20 bucks ...

Yeah! I had the same, and with a proportional joystick with all the bells and whistles the RCers have. I got a little too close and crashed into the Statue of Liberty and the WTC a time or two ... but nobody ever got hurt, of course!

Cookie

Reaction score
I have been looking for a commodore 64 for my son for quite a long time, it was the first computer I ever bought him, and I don't know what happened to it, after we bought one we could get the net on. I don't know what they go for these days, but, if anyone ever wants to sell one, please message me, I would love to make my son happy.

Thank you, Cookie

Cookie

Reaction score
Oh, I wish I knew! I bought him it a long time ago, used from the PennySaver back then for 100.00 bucks, it had everything. He loved it, then, later much later we got a real computer, and we moved to the south and I don't know what ever happened to it. For years, he talked about finding one, and this Xmas, I was too sick to look, too sick to do much of anything. But, for Xmas for a few years, I looked everywhere. Always came up empty. Thank you Lee, that was so sweet of you, and I will check that site.

When this kid was 5 years old, I picked him up from kindergarten on his first day, and the teacher let all the kids out, I was standing there and out runs Alan, he jumped into my arms yelling, " Mom, you got to see this!" We went back in, and there it was... an Apple. It was the start of a love affair, a life-long love affair for him with computers.

The teacher said, " I never saw a kid do that, jump into his mother's arms like that" then, she started telling me, how great I was! LOL. Wow, did my head get big.

I guess you can pretty much guess what he does for a living. What he talks about endlessly, we were just talking today about, how there aren't going to be enough of IP addys maybe, in a few years. How they are going to make the IP's 18 numbers long. Well, we discussed this at length today. I always get all the ins, lol.

Thank you Lee. When I see him, I will ask about your problem.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Thank you Lee. When I see him, I will ask about your problem.

That problem is solved, but I thank you anyway!

I wanted so badly to buy a C=64 way back in '72 ... but they were around $400.00 at the time and I could not afford one. As far as I know, no single model of any other brand of computer has ever had higher sales or has had anywhere near as much software written for it!

If your son might want them, I still have around 30 lbs. of Commodore and Compute's Gazette magazines, and I still have a cable that will connect a 1541/71 drive to an MS-DOS (at least up to Win2k) machine. Just let me know ...

Cookie

Reaction score
Thank you Lee, I will ask him. I am glad your problem is solved, but anytime you need anything computer wise, if you want just PM me and I will ask my son what you need to know. Honestly, this kid is so smart, I used to tell him he had to be switched at birth! :)

I think I bought ours in the early 80's. My husband and I had no idea what it was, what it did, nothing. But, our son did.

Cookie

Reaction score
SewerRatz,

Thank you so very much! You made my day!

~I think Terry should put a bullentin board up for things like this.

Wow, Terry I could sell my houses here, LOL. :D

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
SewerRatz,

Thank you so very much! You made my day!

~I think Terry should put a bullentin board up for things like this.

Wow, Terry I could sell my houses here, LOL. :D

You are most welcome. I figured best to let someone have it that will use it. All it has been doing is collecting dust in my room.

Cookie

Reaction score
It won't collect dust here. I can't thank you enough. He is home and I had to tell him, you know... it is XMAS, lol. I said, " Alan Michael, you know that commodore? " He turns and looks at me, saying, " you got one?" I said, " yes," well, I will, lol, and he was so excited. I couldn't wait. I heard the keys in the door and couldn't wait. I am like a kid.

How funny, when I bought the one years ago, it was for Xmas.

I kind of love my kids alittle. ;)

Cookie

Reaction score
Now, I won't be able to sleep tonite, :D
Oh boy, how well do you guys know me, when I don't sleep, what do I do? I write, LOL Sewer Ratz, everyone is going to hate you because you made me so happy, now I will write volumes and bore everyone to death here, LOL. I better double up on the pain pills, :D OR, if the readers have any, I would suggest taking them. lol.

Thank you so much... you are going to get one million posts thanking you, lol.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks