Will two Taco timers work in parallel?

Users who are viewing this thread

shadysprings

Reaction score
I currently have a Taco hot water recirculator in my house. I'd like to add a second timer to the system in parallel.

See picture below. Question, if timer1 is on, and then timer2 turns on at the same time, will this cause any problems electrically? The other condition is if timer1 is on, and timer2 is off, will the high voltage from timer1 hurt timer2 while it's off?

Thanks

shadysprings-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
What is the second timer for?
Why would you bypass the aquastat with your second timer?
Are these timers mechanical or electronic?

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Yes it would make it work but not how you probably want it to.

As far as the damage, like asked above, we would need to know whether they are electronic or mechanical. Reverse bias can do differerent things to electronic equipment if not adequately protected.

I too would like to know why you bypassed the aquastat with the 2nd timer.

Why not buy a programmable timer?

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Don’t you all see what he wants to do?

The first timer will let the pump run from midnight till noon. The second timer will let the pump run from noon till midnight. This way each timer will have a rest period.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you perhaps wanting warm water at the faucets at certain times, but hot water available say at shower time?

And the water recirculation system turns on/off with the Aquastat and 1st timer, then there are periods where the water cools down (just before the pump activates again) and will not be at the maximum hot temperature?

And adding the second timer to say turn on at 6:00 am would turn on the recirculation pump, and that is when you take your shower, and the water would be hot as can be?

shadysprings

Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for all the replies.

The first timer with aquastat runs pump in the "normal" times. Like 5-7am wakeup, and 7-11pm bedtime. The reason I try to run minimum is that the water heater seems to constantly be heating the water when it recirculates. Maybe poorly insulated pipes but they're all behind drywall and I inherited the plumbing when I moved in.

The second timer is an electronic timer like Leviton 611-6230M-I
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314BKTpqViL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This is for the times when timer 1 is not on, like at 2am, when the shower is needed or hot water in kitchen. I can simply press the 15min button and get the pump to circulate for temporarily.

Thanks for all the input and more would be great!

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com

The first timer will let the pump run from midnight till noon. The second timer will let the pump run from noon till midnight. This way each timer will have a rest period.

That there is funny. I don't care who you are:)

shadysprings

Reaction score

Exactly...... :) Maybe I'll get three timers and they can all rest more.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you may need to do if the timers are "electronic" as opposed to "relay" or use a mechanical switch on their inside, is to use a relay (contactor) or two to keep the electricity from flowing "backwards" into the timers.

How a relay works...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source...ogle+Search&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=eec9c32d20fe6232

A contactor is the same thing as a relay, but these are typically designed to be mounted in an electrical box instead of on a printed circuit board.

Contactor...

60-584-1000_LG.jpg

Relay...

G2R-1A-E%20PWR%20RELAY.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks