Will Toto ST743E fit C744SG?

Users who are viewing this thread

Suceress

Reaction score
I have an old CST744SG 1.6gpf Toto Drake. Recently I had a problem when I changed out the supply line (which was leaking). Old line did not want to come off and the tank moved. It has since started leaking from the gasket between bowl and tank. It could need to be re-aligned or the gasket might need to be replaced, but if the tank cracked, I want to know what tank to get to replace it if necessary. While researching I noticed the 1.28 tanks and was wondering if the ST743E would work.

I was comparing the eco toilet to the one I have and noticed they use the same flush levers, flush valves, same gaskets, same trip levers, same fill valves, etc but the drain valve is different (which I assume is to control water flow). The tanks have the same dimensions as well. Is it basically the same tank as the ST743S?

From my understanding the S line of bowls are discontinued and the E bowls are now in use. Not sure if there are any physical differences or if they just changed a letter for marketing purposes. I saw a similar question from 2009 but it didn't completely answer my question & I want to make sure.

I'm really hoping it is just the gasket, but I'd like to know just in case.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Originally the bowls were all S bowls and the tanks were S tanks for 1.6 gallons. They then made a 1.28 option which meant changing the bowls to hold less water, the E bowls.
It's probably best to use an S tank with the S bowl. However, the tower tanks are adjustable. You can buy them in S or E and the only difference is in the adjustment from the factory which can also be changed onsite.

E = 1.28
S = 1.60

toto-flush-tower-adjust-1.jpg

Suceress

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry!
It turned out the rubber washers for the tank bolts broke & that is why it was leaking. Center gasket was in rough shape but still intact & is not leaking. Unfortunately, the fill valve is leaking from the wrong spot & the tank is not filling now. That fill valve has been in there over 10 years though, so a new one may be in order.
Will the fill valve that comes with the Fluidmaster 404LG work? It is a different design. It feels somewhat flimsy (at least the plastic chain does). I know the flush parts aren't the right size, but I'm wondering if the fill valve will.

I need to check the existing fill valve to see if it has the quick release thing partway down the pipe so I can change it out without removing the supply line again.

Suceress

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. I used the kit I had in a pinch because the old fill valve was ruined when my friend removed it. It didn't have the quick release thing & I couldn't get it off. My friend came over to help and it broke during removal. Currently the tank will fill all the way up, stop, and then slowly drain without refilling. I have to tap the flush lever every time I go to use the toilet so it will fill the tank & then flush when I'm done. If it was a problem with the flapper leaking, the tank should refill-- so something with the fill valve is malfunctioning. Maybe it needs some adjustment or something, I'm not sure. Could it be a bad fill valve?

I'll look for the Performax to see if it is carried by any of the stores near me.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Or just go get the Korky Platinum 528MP, which works on them all. I have all 7 toilets in our place on the Korky, most of which are Totos. Never a problem and easy to service in the rare case that it's necessary.

Suceress

Reaction score
As an update, the fill valve I used is saving me water. There is a slow leak from the tank-- not sure what is causing it. I looked for the leak-finding dye at the store & couldn't find any. It has some sort of leak-guard technology where it won't fill if the flapper hasn't been lifted (it has a chain that attaches to the tank lever so it can sense it). I was having problems with flush efficiency but I shortened the chain on the flapper & it fixed it. Got a new tank to bowl gasket just in case & my friend will help install it (since I'm a total uncoordinated monkey & am afraid I'll drop the tank).

Got a new Drake online (checked the reviews to make sure I got ones from good sellers who have good shipping practices). Tank arrived in a box larger than the one the bowl came in. It had all sorts of extra padding & it needed it bc the numnutz at the post office couldn't figure out what THIS SIDE UP and the arrow mean. Gave it to me upsidedown. I couldn't figure out why the holes to lift the box were on the bottom until I got it home and realized the arrow was pointing down. Gently flipped it and carried it. Opened both boxes & found everything intact. Got a look at the new tower flush mechanism. I got the CST744EL (ADA height Eco Drake). Old toilet will go in the guest bathroom. New toilet is going in Mom's ensuite since she needs a taller toilet. Waiting on a tool to arrive so I can remove the old closet flange and put the new one in.

Suceress

Reaction score
Another update: We have the new ADA toilet installed but the floor is wonky so we will have to fix it when we remodel. Tearing the old shower tub out, raising the vanity top higher, putting new flooring in, installing a shower with grab bars, etc. The ADA height Toto has to be cleaned more often than the CEFIONTECT one, but thus far it has not gotten etched from hard water. It's still relatively easy to clean (but I really with they would make cleaning tools that don't require so much bending- my back does not cooperate). But the taller height has been wonderful. It is sooo much easier to get up and down from the toilet. Flush tower is working fine thus far. I'm still going to add a little grab bar on the wall next to the toilet just so Mom can steady herself when standing up, but it is much easier on her knees.

As an aside, we got a comfort/universal height Toto Entrada for my friend's house. It's a little lower than the ADA Drake but it is still easier to get up from than the original Drake. I still have two original Drakes to install so I'm going to build platforms under them. I'm thinking of ordering a tower flush thing to install in the older tank (from the toilet that was replaced in Mom's bathroom) to see if it will last longer than the flap style.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks