Will toilet flush cause shower temp change in this configuration?

Users who are viewing this thread

fatfingers

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm remodeling a bath with:

1) Tub/Shower about 7 feet from hot water heater
2) 3/4 inch pex to shower from water heater
3) Toilet on other side of shower, about 13 feet from hot water heater (1/2 pex)

Given 3/4 inch pex to shower, will tapping into it about 4 feet from shower for the toilet supply cause my sking to melt when someone flushes the toilet?

If running the cold straight from the waterheater (extra 4 feet) would help, then I'd do it. But the water heater is in the basement and the surrounding area is packed with pipes and tubes, so I'd prefer to branch inside the bathroom.

All comments appreciated!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If your doing a remodel and you changed the shower faucet it is more then likely the shower faucet is balanced pressure. There will be no temperature changes in the shower.

John

Phaedrus123

In the Trades
Reaction score
from what i hear about pex as a potable water source,you are only meant to use it as a home run system.check the inside diameter of that tee you are going to cut in.this is one of the drawbacks of using pex although im sure your plumber ran a homerun system.as stated above if shower is pressure balanced you wont get that burst of hot water but if you have a 3 handle shower watch out,especially if you have kids.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; pex as a potable water source,you are only meant to use it as a home run system

You can install PEX ANY WAY you want to. Each method will have benefits over the others, otherwise there would be no reason to use it, but it is up to the installer to decide HOW he wants to install it. As far as causing a temperature change, the dynamics of the ENTIRE water system all the way from the water meter/pump to the faucet will be a factor. Additional considerations are the type of faucet, the speed the toilet valve operates, the flow at the shower valve, etc. We can say what MIGHT happen, but only the actual usage will tell if it DOES happen.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All modern shower valves are required to have anti-scald technology in them. The most common is a pressure balance spool valve. Some thermostatically controlled valves can adjust fast enough to respond to that problem as well, or if not, they also have a pressure balance valve in them as well as the thermostatically controlled one. So, they only thing you'd typically notice is that the total volume out of the shower might decrease as it tries to keep the temperature the same (but shutting down some hot flow to match the decrease in cold available). How well these work varies from brand to brand and model to model, but they all should prevent you from getting scalded.

Phaedrus123

In the Trades
Reaction score
where i live inspector said if he saw branches of a water main in pex he would fail.i stick with copper,,,tried and tested.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; where i live inspector said if he saw branches of a water main in pex he would fail.

In that case you need better inspectors, namely, none that are controlled by the plumber's union.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
quote; where i live inspector said if he saw branches of a water main in pex he would fail.

In that case you need better inspectors, namely, none that are controlled by the plumber's union.

That is a true statement,but in many areas they would be hard to find.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks