Will this vent line work?

Users who are viewing this thread

willynate1978

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been lurking for awhile and finally have a question that I think would benefit from the advice on this site.

I'm going to be moving my kitchen sink drain from one wall to another. Fortunately, the current drain/vent line is just a few feet away (in the basement) from the sink's new position. I'm hoping to run the new sink drain line through the floor (can't put it in the wall due to stud placement) and then tap into the existing drain line in the basement.

Would the following vent/drain diagram work for my situation? I'd have the P-trap in the cabinet and then drop through the floor to split the drain into the vent/drain picture shown below.

p_SCP_208_02.jpg

It seems like it would provide the air needed for proper drainage.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

Stuff

Reaction score
The picture doesn't match your description as it sounds like you are creating an S-trap which is not allowed. After the trap the drain can not drop before there is a vent. The trap arm needs to be horizontal then to a san-t which has the vent going up.

willynate1978

Reaction score
The picture doesn't match your description as it sounds like you are creating an S-trap which is not allowed. After the trap the drain can not drop before there is a vent. The trap arm needs to be horizontal then to a san-t which has the vent going up.

Thanks for replying. Would it work to have the drain go through the floor THEN have a P-Trap in the basement to keep it horizontal for venting? Otherwise, I have seen kitchen island venting that seems to solve my problem in a different way.

vent-kitchen-sink-interesting-on-and-revent-or-loop-my-island-23.jpg

Stuff

Reaction score
P-trap needs to be at the sink. Find out if an AAV is allowed in your area as that is the quick and dirty solution. Island venting is usually not done unless it is an island or peninsula.

What really is wrong with the wall? Even if you need to move over a foot a real drain and vent is a better solution.

willynate1978

Reaction score
Sadly, Minnesota doesn't allow AAVs (trust me, I've looked). We did have a plumber out who said it would work best to run a new vent line through our ceiling and back into the existing vent. I really don't have a desire to rip out our whole kitchen ceiling but that's what we might end up doing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks