Will this (toilet) vent design work and pass code?

Users who are viewing this thread

jbradley2093

Reaction score
Ill keep this as short as possible. First, its a DIY project. I have a permit. I am installing a new bathroom in an upstairs of a 75 year old house that previously had no plumbing upstairs. The floor joists are only 2x6 so there is very limited space for the 3" drain and no space to vent out of the pipe inside the joist area. I have installed a LVL beam that I will run the plumbing along for a horizontal run before it drops vertical to the crawlspace (right side of the photo). The problem is that I cannot get a vent on the main run from the closet flange as there is just no room without dropping the ceiling which is already only 7'2". I intend to box the LVL beam and create a bulkhead for the plumbing.

I have attached 2 photos. Please note this is just a quick mock up to show my question. In the photo that shows the drain, there will be a sink and a shower to the left upstream. Both of those will have additional vents in the proper locations, the vent I am showing in the photo is just the dry vent for the toilet. Is this acceptable to vent the toilet? The run from the closet flange to the wye is only 3 feet (yes it will slope properly).

Will this vent design work and pass the 2015 IRC code (what is used in my area of Michigan)

Also, I have included a photo of the 45 degree closet flange with an additional 45 on it to get from the flange to the pipe in the space I need. Is there any code reason that I cannot do this?

Thank you for your assistance.

Attachments

• IMG_20230319_170204371-vent.jpg
    IMG_20230319_170204371-vent.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 171
  • flange.jpg
    flange.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 173

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah that works to vent the toilet. As long as you put a45 on that wye and stay vertical with your vent pipe.

jbradley2093

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Can the vent go vertical to the bottom of the floor and run horizontal about a foot before turning truly vertical? It would run parallel to the 3" drain pipe for that foot and it would be above the center line of the 3" with the vent pipe sloped back to the wye. Meaning the bottom of the 2" vent pipe will be just above the center line of the 3" drain it's running parallel to with a correct slop so it would drain should it get backed up.

jbradley2093

Reaction score
I have made a drawing of what I had planned. Please forgive the poor quality. For easier understanding, I will refer to the pipe that runs along the LVL beam and eventually turns down 90 degrees vertical to the crawlspace - the section of pipe that all 3 fixtures tie into as "the main drain pipe."

The shower is the first fixture to start the main drain pipe, starting with 1-1/2" pipe (Per 2015 code, and necessary because of the 2x6 joists and the P-Trap) - it will then increase to a 2" pipe before the sink ties in, and then increase again to a 3" pipe before the toilet ties in. All tie ins will be with wye that faces upward. The sink is between the shower and the toilet on the main drain pipe. As you will see in my drawing I have incorporated a 2" drain for the sink to account for the wet vent requirements as I read them in the link that was sent to me in this forum. (I already have a 2" vent pipe going thru the roof for this bathroom, so it would be all 2" pipe for the sink drain/vent). I think this will work for the sink and toilet venting, but I am not sure if I need an additional vent for the shower? I have indicated the horizontal distances from each fixture to the drawing, but they are as follows:

There is a 10" drop at 45 degrees from the shower drain to the P-Trap --> Then a 35" run along the main drain pipe until the 2" sink drain and wet vent tie in, which the sink drain/went vent already runs 28" horizontal before tying into the main drain pipe --> after the sink has tied it it is about 35" downstream until the toilet drain ties into the main drain pipe, and this toilet drain is 36" from the closet flange until it ties into this main drain pipe. Overall the main drain pipe is about 7' long from the shower P-trap until it turns 90 degrees vertical to the crawlspace and ties into the main 4" sewer drain pipe.

Will this setup work with the the 2" wet vent from the sink in the middle, or do I need a vent for the shower also?

Thank you to those of you who are taking the time to help me, it is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20230321_222620571.jpg
    IMG_20230321_222620571.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 162
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks