Will this DWV situation work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven JP

Reaction score
Will draining and wet venting this shower right above a toilet present any problems. The shower will be 2 inch and tie into the vent stack using a sanitary tee. Then directly below it I will go to three inch and the toilet will tie into the stack.

Attachments

• 15571651137168873460237200326011.jpg
    15571651137168873460237200326011.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 125

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. I think it would probably be OK, but it would be better if the toilet fed in with a wye instead of a sanitary tee.

Steven JP

Reaction score
I've read that sanitary tee is better because it lets the pipe wet vent. I figure this will be ok too. I just wonder if when the shower is running will it not let the toilet vent if it is flushed

Reach4

Reaction score
I was hoping you were now encouraged to read more on the topic. A quick look did not turn up the clear discussion I was hoping for, however. The advantage of a wye is that it helps the solids to better get going in the correct direction. Venting for a toilet serves a very different purpose than for other things. For other things, the vent must prevent the trap from siphoning out. A toilet trap is intended to siphon out, and the trap gets refilled by the refill tube from the fill valve.

There will probably be more comments on this thread as to which, wye or santee, is better, so that might be the best reading.

Maybe a poll would be appropriate, such as.... Between santee vs wye in this case:
  1. only a santee would be acceptable
  2. both are acceptable but santee is better
  3. both are equally acceptable
  4. both are acceptable but wye is better
  5. only a wye would be acceptable.
Here are 2 ways a wye could be used, but not the only ways:
img_2.jpg

img_3.jpg

Last edited:

Steven JP

Reaction score
I was hoping you were now encouraged to read more on the topic. A quick look did not turn up the clear discussion I was hoping for, however. The advantage of a wye is that it helps the solids to better get going in the correct direction. Venting for a toilet serves a very different purpose than for other things. For other things, the vent must prevent the trap from siphoning out. A toilet trap is intended to siphon out, and the trap gets refilled by the refill tube from the fill valve.

There will probably be more comments on this thread as to which, wye or santee, is better, so that might be the best reading.

Maybe a poll would be appropriate, such as.... Between santee vs wye in this case:
  1. only a santee would be acceptable
  2. both are acceptable but santee is better
  3. both are equally acceptable
  4. both are acceptable but wye is better
  5. only a wye would be acceptable.View attachment 53175

Oh ok yeah I'll have to do more research. Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ON a purely theoretical level, the sanitary tee is "required" since it does NOT create an elongated "S" trap and makes inspectors happy. As a practical matter, however, since the trap is already an "S" trap a combo/Y/T, is immaterial as all work equally well. In your poll, 1, 2, or 3, o.k., but NOT 4 or 5.

Steven JP

Reaction score
ON a purely theoretical level, the sanitary tee is "required" since it does NOT create an elongated "S" trap and makes inspectors happy. As a practical matter, however, since the trap is already an "S" trap a combo/Y/T, is immaterial as all work equally well. In your poll, 1, 2, or 3, o.k., but NOT 4 or 5.

In your opinion would that setup I drew up work fine? Im going to come below a joist, tie into the water pipe with the toilet, and then come through the same joist and tie in the shower right above it
I wish there was a better way without lowering the ceiling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks