Will silicone hold?

Users who are viewing this thread

mnRemodeler

Reaction score
I'm installing a sliding barn door in a room that has a tile floor and tile baseboard trim.

The door gets a 1/4" slot routed in the bottom of it and then a guide gets placed on the floor. The guide rides in that slot. It keeps the door from swinging in and out.

I won't drill holes in the tile. And because of the tile baseboard I have the same problem on the wall -- which makes a wall-mounted guide tough to use, too. I do have an option of fastening something on the inside of the door opening (door jam) as there is no baseboard in the opening. But I'd prefer that to be a last resort as I'd have to make my own guide which would have to go from a vertical plane on the door jam to a horizontal plane along the floor. So some kind of twist in the metal or weld a couple pieces to fab it up in order to get the proper shape. Then I'd have to paint it, etc.

So my question is...do you think silicone adhesive would adhere the plastic guide (that came with the door) well enough to the floor that it wouldn't come loose? I have to imagine it would get some pressure on it if people are rough opening and closing the door. Just didn't know if silicone would bond it well enough. The advantage of the silicone being that I could clean it off the tile some day if I ever needed to remove and replace the guide.

Themp

Reaction score
I think silicone or any good adhesive will work. I have a shower door aluminum drip tray at the bottom of the door with a bead of clear silicone on both sides on the tile. The door gasket pulls and pushes on the tray every time the door is opened or closed. It has not moved in 3 years.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think silicone can hold a bath enclosure track, with wheels/rollers in top rail, so almost no weight on the track.
But can it hold a heavy barn sliding door? My guess is as good as yours.
Try it and if it doesn't hold, try something else.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depending on your tile (smoother, the better), 3M makes some very strong VHB (Very High Bond) two sided tapes that might work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks