Will rust in my water harm my ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Roy D. Mercer

Reaction score
I am on city water but my finer (I think that one is 500 mesh / 30 microns) sediment filter is constantly full of what looks to be rust. If any of this rust makes it to my carbon backwash tank or my water softener, can it do harm to either of them? If yes I'll change my sediment filter scheme so no rust gets into my system. I don't recall having rust like this until the water department dug up my neighbor's driveway for what looked to be quite a repair job. However that was almost a year ago. Any comments will be very much appreciated.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Carbon backwashing systems are not designed for sediment reduction but they work very well for this in many applications. It should be just fine, I would recommend changing your filter to a 5 micron.

Check out the picture of the filter in our catalog. This is an example of water in new York with 40 ppm tds but a heavy sediment load. This filter was used as a pre filter to a carbon block and this occurred with only 3 weeks of use.

https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/208-209

Roy D. Mercer

Reaction score
Carbon backwashing systems are not designed for sediment reduction but they work very well for this in many applications. It should be just fine, I would recommend changing your filter to a 5 micron.

Check out the picture of the filter in our catalog. This is an example of water in new York with 40 ppm tds but a heavy sediment load. This filter was used as a pre filter to a carbon block and this occurred with only 3 weeks of use.

https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/208-209

Thank you for taking the time. You suggestion relates to my question on the rust harming things. My first filter is Rusco trap filter with a 200 mesh insert. The next one is the 500 mesh that is filling up with rust and is the highest mesh size they offer. I have three 4.5" x 20" filters after my water softener. The first one is a 1 absolute micron filter followed by bone char carbon onto a .2 micron NanoCeram nano filter out to my UV. I only installed the 1 micron filter just in case something went wrong with the softener, hoping this would prevent a mess throughout my plumbing system. It's probably not needed and I could re-route it to the input of my carbon tank but I sure would feel better knowing it's where it is. I can't fit another 4.5" x 20" (easily that is) but I could replace the Rusco's with a 4.5" x 10 filter(s). I suspect that even with the 10" filter that I would have plenty of flow. I am just not sure how often I would be changing filters. I drain the Rusco's once a week and have to remove the 500 mesh for a good cleaning at least every couple of months.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks