will Rear Outlet floor standing work here or do we have to Wall Hang?

Is a Floor standing rear outlet okay or will it cause drainage issues down the road?

• Only recommend Wall Hung

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

IamDiamond

Reaction score
Our condo in Ontario, Canada has a rear outlet/horizontal stack. We are going to convert one massive washroom into two.

Photo of the floor plan has yellow highlighting where the current stack is and the red arrow shows which way the waste will need to drain.
Photo of stack attached (looking down from above current toilet tank).

I am getting conflicting 'expert' opinions on whether I can go with another floor standing rear outlet (my preference because it would be easier to repair in the future). Some say there will be drainage issues down the road with the two turns and I should go with a wall mounted.

Could you please also make recommendations of a reliable wall mounted toilet available in Canada? I need something with a flat profile that would be easy to clean but more importantly that will do the job consistently for decades to come.
I have spent a shameful amount of time researching online and reading and haven't found a definitive answer. Gerberit and Toto have good reviews in this forum (though as a layperson I can't figure out what exactly to buy). Swiss Madison has highly-rated, relatively reasonable products on Wayfair.ca...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• New washrooms.png
    New washrooms.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Stack drain.jpg
    Stack drain.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 100

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Wall mount is a much better design. Even my Toto rep said Geberit was the better carrier. You have to stick with the carrier mfr's flush plates.
Only use the 2x6 wall frame assemblies, bc the 2x4 is too hard to repair the guts of the mechanisms.
You can use anyone's china bowl. Duravit, Toto and any other. Swiss Madison is not known to me and I am suspect of Wayfair quality assurances.

IamDiamond

Reaction score
Wall mount is a much better design. Even my Toto rep said Geberit was the better carrier. You have to stick with the carrier mfr's flush plates.
Only use the 2x6 wall frame assemblies, bc the 2x4 is too hard to repair the guts of the mechanisms.
You can use anyone's china bowl. Duravit, Toto and any other. Swiss Madison is not known to me and I am suspect of Wayfair quality assurances.
Thank you! Should floor standing even be an option or do you think there may be issues later?
Do you have suggestions on what Geberit to buy and how to pair it with a bowl? I am embarrassingly ignorant in this area and when I tried to look for items I was totally lost!

IamDiamond

Reaction score
Wall hung are easier but floor mint can work fine if properly secured.
Hi John, could you please expand on that...what would I be looking/asking for in terms of making sure it's properly secured and to buy a long-lasting model

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi John, could you please expand on that...what would I be looking/asking for in terms of making sure it's properly secured and to buy a long-lasting model
Here's some explanation on this thread.

I don't have an opinion on model as they seem to install the same for me and I don't use them after so I'm limited on experience with how well they work. I install toilets, make sure they function, and then hopefully never see them again. If there was a model that didn't work well I'd let you know.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Went to Germany for the holidays, every toilet I saw was either Geberit or Duravit, I've installed them here and they're great.

That said, I also do a lot of toilet repairs, if/when the time comes to service one of these, rut roh, the parts aren't easily found at Home D or Lowes.

In America, I suggest staying with floor mount for this reason alone, but if they start becoming more popular and the parts are readily available, that'll change.

Reach4

Reaction score
Went to Germany for the holidays, every toilet I saw was either Geberit or Duravit, I've installed them here and they're great.
Did many of the new ones have poop shelves?

Did you miss the US elongated seats?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
No "shelves", thankfully, I think those are old school in Germany now, though I'm sure they're still present in private residences.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
One thing that I always want to mention: Two bolt style wall hung WCs always have a little give because two bolts just don't hold that tremendously (whereas, conventional commercial style 4 bolt do).
So don't be surprised when a gap shows up on the back shelf. And do install tile or equal behind the WC with good backing on that, NOT sheetrock.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks