Will Ponding sewage in the Sewer Line contribute to gases released in the house?

Users who are viewing this thread

J J Micheal

Reaction score
A TV inspection of my sewer line by the Region of Peel has uncovered an improper slope in the sewer line which is causing ponding sewage and the impending threat of a back-up. I have noticed the smell of sewer gas quite often since moving into this newly built home. The public officials say the problem is with my drain traps. The drain traps I keep filled with water but if one of them does dry out the smell of sewer gas is worse than I experienced in my other homes. I also notice the smell of sewer gas especially in the floor drain in the basement closest to the ponding sewage even when the drain trap is full sometimes. Is it reasonable to expect that having decaying sewage in the line will increase the threat and or amount of sewer gas that is released back in the house even with working drain traps? The Region of Peel has agreed to connect the pipes properly that have been connected improperly with a clamp but they say it will create more backflow and ponding. They do not want to run a new line straight to the main sewer which would decrease the length of the line from 21metre to 15metres and increase the slope. The Builder, The City of Mississauga, and the Region of Peel obviously to me are negligent here in the construction of the line and inspecting it. Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated here.

ponding sewage in my sewer line.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The traps in the home are there to block sewer gas from coming into the home. Those pipes through the roof are part of that system.

dwv_b2.jpg

It's unfortunate that the sewer doesn't have good grade out to their lines.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have different legal system I assume as we do. What you have is not normal but should not be causing your smell if this is down stream and not backing up.
Obvious to you but not obvious to me whos fault it is. The bulk or entire fault could be on the builder and not any fault of the region of peel . The pipe could have been installed perfect but on unstable soil, or other reasons.
As a new home buyer I'd want my sewer line fixed and not be willing to foot bill.
Was the reason for camera because of smell? Do you have detailed photos of all plumbing in relation to where the odor comes? You could have hokey plumbing work inside the building unrelated to the pooling of poo in sewer

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The dip in the drain line acts like a second trap when filled. There will always be slow or no draining with two traps until it is fixed. If this is left alone all things will eventually have a problem with drainage, especially the toilets.

My thoughts on why you are getting odors is positive pressure builds up behind the "ponding" as you call it. This positive pressure is air in the pipe and it has no place to escape too. So it backups and gets pushed back through the traps. You may hear gurgling or see bubbles in the basement drain. Roof venting should prevent this but it's location and how much water in the drain pipes seem to be affecting it.

In the home have someone flush the toilets, run water at sinks and keep an eye the floor drain trap and look for any bubbles.

Did your home come with any kind of warranty? The first course of action with whom you signed the contract to buy the home, you need to file a claim.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The dip in the drain line acts like a second trap when filled. There will always be slow or no draining with two traps until it is fixed. If this is left alone all things will eventually have a problem with drainage, especially the toilets.

My thoughts on why you are getting odors is positive pressure builds up behind the "ponding" as you call it. This positive pressure is air in the pipe and it has no place to escape too. So it backups and gets pushed back through the traps. You may hear gurgling or see bubbles in the basement drain. Roof venting should prevent this but it's location and how much water in the drain pipes seem to be affecting it.

In the home have someone flush the toilets, run water at sinks and keep an eye the floor drain trap and look for any bubbles.

Did your home come with any kind of warranty? The first course of action with whom you signed the contract to buy the home, you need to file a claim.

In a foriegn country I wouldnt know about filing a claim , But Id speak with my builder as well. Expect problem fixed and reimbursed for camera work. Im thinking that pipe is filling more than half way and backing up to the floor drain vent take off

J J Micheal

Reaction score
The traps in the home are there to block sewer gas from coming into the home. Those pipes through the roof are part of that system.

dwv_b2.jpg

It's unfortunate that the sewer doesn't have good grade out to their lines.

Thank you for this information. Is the water in the drain trap a 100% fail-safe to stop sewer gas from getting back into the house? Also, it would seem that the ponding sewage in the line would create more sewer gas that would be able to be released back into the home. What are your thoughts?

J J Micheal

Reaction score

J J Micheal

Reaction score
Thank you for this information. Is the water in the drain trap a 100% fail-safe to stop sewer gas from getting back into the house? Also, it would seem that the ponding sewage in the line would create more sewer gas that would be able to be released back into the home. What are your thoughts?

J J Micheal

Reaction score

In our jurisdiction, the public officials who signed off on it is also liable. I will give them a chance to fix it too. Do you think the water in the drain trap is a 100% fail-safe to stop sewer gas from getting back into the house? Also, it would seem that the ponding sewage in the line would create more sewer gas that would be able to be released back into the home. What are your thoughts?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
In our jurisdiction, the public officials who signed off on it is also liable. I will give them a chance to fix it too. Do you think the water in the drain trap is a 100% fail-safe to stop sewer gas from getting back into the house? Also, it would seem that the ponding sewage in the line would create more sewer gas that would be able to be released back into the home. What are your thoughts?
Sewer gas smells are extremely hard to locate if there are no strong odors. Usually it's a whiff of it and then your nose seems to turn off. If it had color it would be easy. There is nothing fail safe that a trap will always block sewer gas if there is a malfunction. When all things are working as designed, there usually isn't any. If you had a roof vent connected to the main as it exited the home, any backup odors should then vent to the roof.

A floor drain (usually the lowest point if your drainage system) will always show the first signs of a backup. What you can do is block all of the floor drains and any sinks so gas cannot backup into the basement. If there is a sink, place a stopper in the drain and add a few inches of water. If there is a washing machine standpipe, cap off the pipe with tape. Wait a few days and check for odors. If none, then you know at least where the source is.

You stated that the odor seems to be the strongest "in the floor drain in the basement closest to the ponding sewage". What could be happening is the sewage backs up some and mixes with the water in the floor drain trap. Now the trap slowly fills with sewage and it creates the odor.

Until the main is sloped correctly and no belly that can cause ponding there is nothing else to do. If odors continue after the repairs than a smoke test may be in order.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-PVC-Test-Plug-Fitting/3880609
038753334028.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
J J I think you need to prove the inspector failed at his job , The thing You may not understand is that pipe might not have been laid with the belly it might have looked perfect when inspector saw it . have you ever heard of ground settlement or an excavation that wasn't compacted properly? . the city accepts reports and documentation from engineering firms The city inspector doesn't punch a clock and sit at your house watching it get built all day. There could have been grading and major dirt work I've seen whole neighborhoods with soil problems side walks buckling and owners had to leave their homes walk away from them. So I think your a bit premature in blaming the city inspector , they aren't going to just roll over you better get some proof. Its not obvious to me who caused this , But sorry you have this problem

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks