will NPT fitting work with IPS fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick.a

Reaction score
Are these 2 standards the same? Or do they have different taper, or thread count or pitch? I tried to look this up but got more confused than ever. I now know what they stand for, but will they fit together properly and not leak. Using 3/4" brass fittings.
thanks,

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In most contexts, we are talking about the same thing. NPT refers to National Standard Pipe Thread Tapered. IPS is not a stricly technical term, or at least it doesn't refer to threads. It stands for IRON PIPE SIZE, so really refers to pipe ID and OD. In most contexts, we use IPS in referring to NPT ( tapered) threads, although there are plenty of applications in daily use where the threads are NPS ( National Standard Pipe Thread Straight).

Now you know why plumbers mumble to themselves in their sleep!

BenWara

Reaction score
In most contexts, we are talking about the same thing. NPT refers to National Standard Pipe Thread Tapered. IPS is not a stricly technical term, or at least it doesn't refer to threads. It stands for IRON PIPE SIZE, so really refers to pipe ID and OD. In most contexts, we use IPS in referring to NPT ( tapered) threads, although there are plenty of applications in daily use where the threads are NPS ( National Standard Pipe Thread Straight).

Now you know why plumbers mumble to themselves in their sleep!

per the 27th edition of the Machinery's Handbook, NPT refers to American National Standard Taper Pipe Thread. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks