Will my toilet sweat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jechow

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my ensuite and will need replacing the vanity. Currently the forced air supply comes up into the bottom cavity, fills the cavity and then passively comes out. With the replacement vanity, I'm planning to extend the pipe so that it's attached to a register on the kickboard. If I extend it next to the toilet (because it would be shorter than running it to the front) will the toilet to sweat? With the current setup, the toilet doesn't sweat.

Attachments

• IMG_20180908_090424.jpg
    IMG_20180908_090424.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20180908_084256.jpg
    IMG_20180908_084256.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 168

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have central air, I'd think twice about pointing it towards the toilet...sitting on a refrigerated toilet is not he most comfortable thing, but might wake you up! On the other hand, it might make it more pleasant in the winter when it's heating it.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
During the cooling season the exit air will be drier than the average air in the house, with a dew point below the water temperature that fills the tank. The risk is pretty low.

During the heating season the furnace exit air has the same dew point as the rest of the air in the house, and the water filling the tank could be colder than that dew point, but not by a lot.

The tank can sweat when air in the bathroom is much higher than the average air in the house (say, during a shower), but the cause would not be the location of the register.

If the furnace is not a condensing type, with a higher than average register temperature the wax seal on the closet fan could conceivably melt. But it the air was that hot the toilet would be uncomfortably warm too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the water temperature in the TANK is below the dew point of the air it will probably sweat. The ambient air temperature has little to do with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks