Will most electricians work with customer purchased parts?

Users who are viewing this thread

tracyballard

Reaction score
I noticed when I was shopping for a new central ac unit, nobody wanted to work on my house if it involved an AC unit that I purchased directly from the manufacturer, they all wanted to sell me the parts in addition to the labor. Is it the same way with electricians for a home rewire? If I purchase a new panel board and mount it, and run some wires from it to where they need to go in the house, would most electricians not want to finish up what I had started, or would that be no problem?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If you hire a contractor for anything, they want to do it from start to finish. It's their liability on the line and if it is a partial job, where does the blame lie on. Warranty? Why would they do warranty anything when they did not sell it. Warranty work is backed up by the manufacturer or supplier they buy from, not your product you bought at HD.

If you can find one that will work with you that is fine but get an agreement before buying anything. Usually they will want particular line of products that from their experience are less troublesome.

Last edited:

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
In addition to Worth, there is the matter of permits and inspections. A real licensed electrician would not do anything you suggest. I could go into details but it all ends up, if there are ever electrical problem damages, your insurance company will laugh at your claim.

I almost forgot to mention that the default problem when fire inspectors look at the damage and the cause isn't obvious; electrical!

Last edited:

tracyballard

Reaction score
It seems like going this route wouldn't work, but just out of curiosity, if all I wanted was for an electrician to move the service lines from the old panel to a new panel, would they do that? Where I live, homeowners can do almost anything for themselves without permits.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Craiglist:rolleyes:. Yes, moving service lines is a common job for an electrician. It is also an extremely dangerous job since since now you're dealing with all the power the POCO has to offer. Most often they call and have the power turned off at the transformer. Of course homeowners can do anything they want with their property. Just remember, when you do it, you are responsible.

Reach4

Reaction score
Many electricians just pull the meter themselves, but they probably have some kind of local agreement with the power company.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
So, if a homeowner does something REALLY STUPID and kills someone or burns the house down because they did NOT get a permit AND inspection, it is okay?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks