Will another bladder tank help maintain pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

sc.homeowner

Reaction score
Without investing in an elaborate filtering system, I have our well water very acceptable now by using 2 whole house filters and a chlorine injector. The problem now is the pressure drop that occurs after the last filter. It is a 5 micron carbon filter and requires changing about every 3 mo. As this filter become more clogged, the more pressure drop is seen at the faucets, especially upstairs.
I was wondering if installing a small bladder tank and flow control valve after this filter would help remedy this problem especially when the filter is close to being replaced.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, the pressure tank would help for short water use such as hand washing, but you might want to consider getting a backwashing carbon filter. That will have much less back pressure and it will only need to have its media changed every 3 years or more. I don't follow the part about a flow control valve. Many faucets have flow control elements in the aerator, but I don't think a flow control after a whole house filter would be a good idea.

Or do you already have a backwashing carbon filter and the 5 micron carbon filter is an added final filter? If so, you could either go to a bigger filter or to an additional filter in parallel with the existing filter. You might also get a little more useful life out of your cartridge if you increase your water pressure some.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You didn't say what type of whole house filters. Is this carbon filter one of these? Somewhere in the mix a sediment filter is needed before the carbon filter. If I'm correct, carbon when used up (removing contaminants and chemicals) a backwash does not remove the contaminants but only sediments (solids).

sc.homeowner

Reaction score
I do not have a back washing filter. I had researched them but did not think that they would remove the fine sediment. Even the 5 mic. does not get it all. Your suggestion for paralleling 2 filters would work now I think, and extend the time between filter changes.
I was thinking that the check valve would prevent back flow from the smaller pressure tank during maintenance, but a shut off valve would easily do that.
Thanks for your suggestions!

sc.homeowner

Reaction score
They are both cartridge type. The first is simply a pleated paper filter good for about 30 microns. It gets the large stuff like sand and manganese.

Reach4

Reaction score
A backwashing filter with sand as the media is a sediment filter down to maybe 5 microns. I am confident that there is media that would do that job better than sand -- maybe take out smaller particles or require less backwash rate.

Backwashing activated carbon filters are usually used after a chlorine injection system to remove the chlorine as well as rust etc that has precipitated due to the chlorine. That could remove the need for the 30 micron filter. I have a backwashing iron+sulfur filter that uses catalytic carbon rather than activated carbon. That is followed by a
DGD-5005-20 polypropylene spun 50-5 micron dual gradient 4.5x20 inch and a
PENTEK-WP1BB20P polypropylene wound WP1BB20P 1 micron 4.5x20 filter. I changed the filters after 13 months, and I think I might have about 18 months on the cartridges currently. However I understand that your well produces more sediment than mine. But still, the backwashing filter does leave not much for the cartridge filters to do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks