Will adding filters reduce water pressure in a way that risks damaging the well pump (no pressure tank)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jmacinnes

Reaction score
Hi there! Hoping for some guidance on planning a filtration system for my off-grid well.

My goal is to run the well pump once every couple of months or so (via generator) to fill a large tank with filtered water. Since I'll only be running the pump while filling the tank and can keep the lines fully open, I hadn't planned for a pressure tank/switch of any kind. However, if I put a couple of filters (maybe a 2-stage filter for sediment and carbon?) in between the pump and tank, will that reduce water flow in a way that would damage the pump? I know it's important not to deadhead the pump by closing the line entirely, so it seems reasonable that restricting the flow could have a negative effect as well. True?

Thanks, I'd greatly appreciate any advice you could share!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Nope! Restricting the flow will make the amps drop and the motor run cooler. Pumping max flow is the hardest thing on a pump as it is in upthrust and pulling max amps, making max heat. The pump only needs 1 GPM to stay cool. If your filters clog completely it will deadhead and destroy the pump. If allowed to run at least 1 GPM the pump will be fine. You can just put a 75 PSI pressure relief valve before the filter to pop off if the filters become completely clogged.

Jmacinnes

Reaction score
Perfect, that's so helpful to know! And thanks for the tip on the pressure relief valve. I was telling myself I'd just be vigilant about changing the filters before they clog, but history suggests I won't be as good at that as I'd like to think. Better safe than sorry! Thanks again for the fast and super helpful response, I really appreciate it!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You can just put a 75 PSI pressure relief valve before the filter to pop off if the filters become completely clogged.
That is assuming the pump can make more than 75 PSI at the surface. Easy enough to check with a pressure gauge and a valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks