Will a sponge (vs rubber) gasket feel damp even when connected properly?

Users who are viewing this thread

KAW

Reaction score
Trust me I already know it seems like a dumb question but do sponge style tank gasket get damp? I've always used a more solid rubber gasket between a tank and a seat and now I'm stuck having used a foam/sponge style for a repair at my mother's. Stick a paper towel between the tank and the seat and touch the gasket and you will get after a half day eventually a very slight amount of dampness. Which I know because my 90 year old mother has done that and is concerned that she has a leak from this new install. Do I really need to turn around and take another long distance trip and try again because she is right- it is a leak? And/or pay plumber a couple hundred bucks, possibly for nothing (cheaper than the trip)?

Reach4

Reaction score
I've always used a more solid rubber gasket between a tank and a seat
I believe you meant tank and base.

I am not a plumber, and I don't know the answer. But I am wondering how you tightened the tank to the bowl? How did you know you were done? You don't want to tighten too tight, but a correctly tightened tank will make contact on two contact points when the tank is deflected to the side, and the other one should have a paper-thin gap. It takes more turns than you might expect.

KAW

Reaction score
Yes tank to bowl. 3 bolts for the tank. I already verified here that yes I got my nuts and washers all in the right place inside tank to outside tank outside the tank to the bowl. Tightened Andre tightened to the furthest point I'm comfortable so I don't break the tank. Water intake definitely secure no leak there and so much easier to tell since it's separated from the other possible points of leakage. Which leaves the center which has the flapper type of guts all of which are brand new so brand new interior seal attacks attached outside with the hex nut also tightened with no give under gentle (dont break tank) pressure from monkey wrench. Unfortunately I didn't try the dye in tank trick. But again there is no pool of water, no air bubbles showing around the flapper or the bolts/rubber washers in the tank. Just a tiny bit of dampness when a paper towel is stuck right up against that gasket. If it were my own toilet I'd just stick a towel down on the floor and stop worrying until I see some real evidence on that towel of water---but that's not the situation.

Reach4

Reaction score
You were planning to visit in a couple of months anyway. Ask your mother if it can wait with some towel use, or if you should find a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks