Will a seldom used trap dry up?

Users who are viewing this thread

MushCreek

Reaction score
In our new house, I am building a basement bathroom which will only see light use. I'm putting in a bath tub because I feel there should be one in the house. The master bath only has a shower. The tub may NEVER get used. At the least, it could go a year or better without use. Can the trap dry out from sitting that long? How would you prevent this? Would a plug work, or will it eventually dry out from the other side? Or should I schedule running water in it periodically, like changing smoke detector batteries?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The trap is exposed to air on BOTH sides of the "J" bend, so mineral oil on the "inlet" will not prevent evaporation on the outlet side. Pour recreational vehicle antifreeze into the drain, and replace it anytime you flush water into the tub. A trap will go dry in a matter of weeks, not months or years, if not used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks