Will a PRV pass low pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mnoone

Reaction score
If my PRV is set to 75PSI but the pressure coming in from the street (connected to PRV input) dips to 25 PSI, will the PRV's output go up to 25PSI? If not, what will it go to?

I ask because I'd like to hook up a small circulating pump temporarily to run hot water through my cold water lines. I'd be hooking this up to a hose bib that is on the inlet side of my PRV, and want it to flow through the PRV. Will this work?

Reach4

Reaction score
If during flow, when the input was 25 psi and the output was 23 psi, would that hurt your plan? I don't think so. In other words, I expect some pressure drop, but not a lot.

Also, some PRVs have the bypass feature. Water can be pushed thru in reverse, if you have one of those.

If your motivation is sanitizing, a pH-adjusted chlorine bleach solution will do a better job.

Mnoone

Reaction score
If during flow, when the input was 25 psi and the output was 23 psi, would that hurt your plan? I don't think so. In other words, I expect some pressure drop, but not a lot.

Also, some PRVs have the bypass feature. Water can be pushed thru in reverse, if you have one of those.

If your motivation is sanitizing, a pH-adjusted chlorine bleach solution will do a better job.
25 PSI was a made up number. I'm using this pump :) If there is a small pressure drop across the PRV I think it should be fine. PRV is a Watts PRV-34-LF25AUBSDUZ3. How do I tell if it has the bypass feature?

Motivation is mostly getting old flux out of lines. But cleaning in general seems like a good idea. I figured hot water would dissolve the flux. But I'm open to suggestions of a better solution to run through the lines!

Reach4

Reaction score
25 PSI was a made up number. I'm using this pump :) If there is a small pressure drop across the PRV I think it should be fine. PRV is a Watts PRV-34-LF25AUBSDUZ3. How do I tell if it has the bypass feature?

Motivation is mostly getting old flux out of lines. But cleaning in general seems like a good idea. I figured hot water would dissolve the flux. But I'm open to suggestions of a better solution to run through the lines!
The description would include the word "bypass" as https://www.watts.com/products/plum...ves/water-pressure-reducing-valves/lf25aub-z3 does.

Hot soapy water sounds good. Do you know what flux? Maybe experiment with that smeared, or baked, onto a test surface.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks