Will a hot water heater reverse output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chicago

Reaction score
Have a 50 gal water heater in the basement. Wanted to make some plumbing adjustments prior to the water heater but there is no shut off valve besides the main inlet.

Main inlet > water heater > rest of house

If I cut the cold water pipe just before the water heater will hot water flow out? Or will gravity keep the hot water down?

I am able to drain the upstairs water as there is a sink in the basement if that would relieve water pressure from pushing down.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If after relieving all the pressure, all taps are left closed, there is no opportunity for water to siphon out of the tank. If you want a little insurance, you could have a sharkbite cap at the ready.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Shut the main valve then drain the HW line and leave the faucet open (hot side)

Reason being if you shut the valve and someone decides to use a faucet you will get by pass through the faucet

Also while your working on the water heater installing a new shut off for example do not forget to install a 37" loop on the cold water to prevent stratification of hot going into the CW line

Chicago

Reaction score
Thanks! I’ll try it next weekend and let you know how it goes. Waiting for the fittings to arrive in the mail.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks