Will 10psi make a difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

mikeri

Reaction score
Currently I'm only getting 35psi on my water line, the city measured at the street and said they had 45psi.

Would 10psi be a noticeable difference?

Reach4

Reaction score
A consistent 10 psi difference at the shower would probably not be noticeable IMO. Pulsing would be noticeable.

Get a garden hose thread pressure gauge. It can go on an outside spigot, a laundry tap, or the drain on the water heater. When you are not using water, the pressure you measure will be the same as at the street after compensating for altitude differences.

Watch the pressure gauge, or take a movie of it, while you turn the shower on and off. That will measure the drop with use. Flush a toilet during the shower. That will tell another aspect.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Currently I'm only getting 35psi on my water line, the city measured at the street and said they had 45psi.
Under what conditions are you measuring?

If the measurements are under no flow conditions, and the city has 45 psi at the street, but you measure 35 psi somewhere on your property, then barring measurement error the only possible explanation I'm aware of is that you are measuring at a point 23 feet higher than the city. You lose one psi per 2.3 feet of elevation, and there's no way around that.

Cheers, Wayne

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Would 10psi be a noticeable difference?
At 35/45 PSI, yes. At higher PSI, not so much.
Anyway, it is not about the static water pressure but rather what the pressure drops to under volume. Is there an elevation change between the street and where you took the measurement? The formula for elevation loss is .43 PSI per foot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks