Wilkins 600 pressure reducer: bleed up

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob2

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am brand new here, looks like a good, useful place.

Wilkins 600 pressure reducer, specifically 3/4" version, at least 10 years old. It regulates just fine while there is even a small flow. After flow stops the delivered pressure sneaks up (10 seconds) to the full supply pressure. I actually have two of these and have already bought one repair kit.

So ...
What is the most likely point of seepage?
Is it likely to be a resilient thing to replace or a brass surface to polish?
Can I get to it by only removing the "cap" opposite the adjustment bolt?

Any input welcome. Thanks in advance

Bob2:D

Probedude

Reaction score
I agree, repairs are not very successful.

In mine the point of failure was the shaft (#17) and the o-ring (#16). They corroded along with the bore they ride in.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have never rebuilt a PRV and had it work...
But then again I didn't try too many times...
I knew I was wasting time...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I concur...out with the old and in with the new...

Never allow your ignorance to override your intellectual capacities...

Bob2

Reaction score
Thanks All. Iguess I won't feel to bad if I fail at rebuild. I

I actually started by buying a new one, or trying too. Right box, but someone switched the unit with another brand and stole the washer for the union. Faces on the union looked shiny, but pretty dinged up. They only had the one box with the wrong part.
Went to another store and got another sad commentary on things: New one was time-and-a-half more. All the boxes for valves and kits were originally taped and had been broken in to. Parts missing. I very carefully sat in the store and checked I had all the parts against the one set of instructions in about 4 kits.
With your input, I think I will get at least one new one and swap. Then I can take my time on the rebuild and test it before install.

Thanks All,
Bob :D

Bob2

Reaction score
HJ,
I woke up realizing this was the 3rd trip to the store and I hadn't even gotten the wrenches out. Store 3, Two new valves, priced right between store 1 and 2.
All brass, it went really smoothly.
Plumbing is all better now, I can watch Super Bowl.
Thanks All
Bob:D

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You are absolutely spinning your wheels with a Wilkins.

Get a Watts and forget it.

The majority of failed PRV's in newer homes under 10 years? Wilkins.

You hear that Wilkins? That why you're always priced cheaper than Watts.

Have you forgotten about the cheap little Watts I think the 25AU...those had a tail light warrenty...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks