DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Darn the bad Luck, You teaser You.

Have a Great day.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
When it comes to this networking stuff John, I'm all talk. I have Google everything or look on YouTube how to do it. Actually, since YouTube and Wikipedia, regular schools are all obsolete. I had to change the headlight bulbs on my wife's Mazda 6 and found out how to do it on a Russian YouTube video, REALLY! Just looked for it, now there is a nice American made video out up a couple of months ago. Dealer wanted 200 bucks to replace one bulb.

Don is the master and does lots of fishing in the Southwest even baits his own hooks. OK, sorry Don:eek::eek:.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonL

Reaction score
When it comes to this networking stuff John, I'm all talk. I have Google everything or look on YouTube how to do it. Actually, since YouTube and Wikipedia, regular schools are all obsolete. I had to change the headlight bulbs on my wife's Mazda 6 and found out how to do it on a Russian YouTube video, REALLY! Just looked for it, now there is a nice American made video out up a couple of months ago. Dealer wanted 200 bucks to replace one bulb.

Don is the master and does lots of fishing in the Southwest even baits his own hooks. OK, sorry Don:eek::eek:.

200 bucks ?

That does suck.

I went to get my car inspected, they say my Transmission Fluid needs changed, and this is not a job you can do yourself,

We have a special right now we can do it for $189.

Can you say rip off ?

JerryR

Reaction score
I love being connected. All devices are IP and controlled via iPad, iPhone or web remotely from anywhere

I have 3 Filtrete 3M-50 thermostat $99 each from Home Depot
I have a Liftmaster MyQ garage door device that controls both garage doors at home $119
Envisalink-3 network adaptor on my alarm system, $99
Multiple IP cameras in our 2 homes
The MyQ can control lights etc with inexpensive adapters.
Ademco Hard wired and wireless alarm, monitored via IP, phone line and Cellular.

The thermostats automatically go into "away" mode if I forget to set them as soon as I get 50 miles from home
The garage door app lets me know the door is open on my iPhone, and I can close or open it from anywhere
The IP camera in my garage visually confirms the door status
I get a text in 10 seconds for any alarm event as in being set, turned off, faults etc.

What does this all cost monthly. All free except for live UL Central Station alarm monitoring which is $21/month for phone and GSM Cellular.

http://www.radiothermostat.com/filtrete/products/3M-30/

http://www.liftmaster.com/lmcv2/accessorydetail/19898/liftmaster-myq-garage/

http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=176

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I love being connected. All devices are IP and controlled via iPad, iPhone or web remotely from anywhere

I have 3 Filtrete 3M-50 thermostat $99 each from Home Depot
I have a Liftmaster MyQ garage door device that controls both garage doors at home $119
Envisalink-3 network adaptor on my alarm system, $99
Multiple IP cameras in our 2 homes
The MyQ can control lights etc with inexpensive adapters.
Ademco Hard wired and wireless alarm, monitored via IP, phone line and Cellular.

The thermostats automatically go into "away" mode if I forget to set them as soon as I get 50 miles from home
The garage door app lets me know the door is open on my iPhone, and I can close or open it from anywhere
The IP camera in my garage visually confirms the door status
I get a text in 10 seconds for any alarm event as in being set, turned off, faults etc.

What does this all cost monthly. All free except for live UL Central Station alarm monitoring which is $21/month for phone and GSM Cellular.

JR
Don's making your garage door go up and down as I write this.:D

DonL

Reaction score
How did you know Bob ?

I was just getting the IP. lol

I would not do that without permission.

It would be easier to hack the phone.

Would not even need to get to his router.

So Jerry, you think your system can not be hacked ?

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
So Jerry, you think your system can not be hacked ?

I spent 38 years in technical services. Everything from mainframes on down to desktop workstations.

The last 6 years my biggest client was a premier credit card company. I know better. Any system can be hacked.

DonL

Reaction score
I spent 38 years in technical services. Everything from mainframes on down to desktop workstations.

The last 6 years my biggest client was a premier credit card company. I know better. Any system can be hacked.

I think hacking into a persons home system would not give Hackers much of a challenge, compared to credit card systems and the like.

They will not even take the time, with such small reward.

It can be fun playing with your neighbor that plays loud music thru the night tho.

John1966

Reaction score
Can this thermostat be used to control a regular baseboard heater or fan heater? TIA

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Can this thermostat be used to control a regular baseboard heater or fan heater? TIA

It could, with an additional relay. I'm using a WiFi stat to control a central furnace in heating mode, and an exhaust fan in cooling. In my greenhouse I use another WiFi stat that opens a couple of high windows with low voltage actuators for temperature control. You can control almost anything you can think of with a little ingenuity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks